Researcher ID : 57197177169
Researchgate : https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Pedro_Vieira11
Research Area : Biodiversity
Position : Integrated members
Specialization in Bioinformatics PhD in Biology Msc in Molecular Biology Bsc in Biology
I have been working with DNA-based identification tools, phylogeography and DNA barcoding to understand biodiversity. Moreover, I have been using bioinformatic tools/programming languages and metabarcoding to improve the biomonitoring of marine communities. Research Involvement and Engagement: - DNA barcoding - (e)DNA metabarcoding analysis of meio and macrofauna. - Phylogeographic and phylogeny of target marine invertebrate taxa. - Island biogeography. - Develop and improve bioinformatic tools for next generation sequencing. - Programming languages. - Large data treatment, statistical and graphical analyses. - Data compilation and analysis of molecular data.
“Next-Sea: Next generation monitoring of coastal ecosystems in a scenario of global change” (operação NORTE-01-0145-FEDER-000032), supported by Norte Portugal Regional Operational Programme (NORTE 2020), under the PORTUGAL 2020 Partnership Agreement, through the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
"DiverseShores - Testing associations between genetic and community diversity in European rocky shore environments" funded by FCT/MCTES (PIDDAC) and co-funded by Fundo Europeu de Desenvolvimento Regional (FEDER) trough COMPETE – Programa Operacional Fatores de Competitividade.
"Virulence factors associated with antimicrobial resistance determinants among Escherichia coli and Klebsiella spp. environmental strains: potential impact on public health" funded by ESCMID Research Grants 2010.
Master project (co-supervisor), 2019. University of Minho, Braga, Portugal.
- Cátia Gonçalves (Bioinformatics). Broad-scale DNA barcode-based meta-species analyses of patterns of molecular variation in marine Amphipoda (Crustacea).
- João Tadeu (Bioinformatics). Development of a semi-automated system for auditing and annotation of reference DNA barcode libraries. 2019.
- Rui Pires (Bioinformatics). Compilation, gap analyses and evaluation of species discrimination ability of reference libraries of DNA barcodes. 2019.
Final graduation project (main supervisor), 2019. University of Minho, Braga, Portugal.
- Duarte Oliveira (Applied Biology). Biodiversity of the marine invertebrates of the Moroccan coasts and the islands of Macaronesia. 2019.
- José Antunes (Applied Biology). Biodiversity of the marine invertebrates of the Moroccan coasts and the islands of Macaronesia. 2019.
Final graduation project (co-supervisor), 2019. University of Minho, Braga, Portugal.
- Miguel Dias (Biochemistry). Monitoring of native and non-indigenous species (NIS) in coastal ecosystems based on molecular tools. 2019.
Master thesis (scientific orientation), 2015. University of Bologna, Ravenna, Italy.
- Andrea Desiderato (Marine Biology). First insights into phylogenetic relationships among the Atlantic and Mediterranean species of the family Hyalidae.
- Vieira PE, Desiderato D, Holdich DM, Soares P, Creer S, Carvalho G, Costa FO, Queiroga H. Deep segregation in the open ocean: Macaronesia as an evolutionary hotspot for low dispersal marine invertebrates. Molecular Ecology. doi: 10.1111/mec.15052
- Desiderato D, Costa FO, Serejo C, Abiatti M, Queiroga H, Vieira PE (2019). Macaronesian islands as promoters of diversification in amphipods: the remarkable case of the family Hyalidae (Crustacea, Amphipoda). Zoologica Scripta. doi:10.1111/zsc.12339.
- Vieira PE, Queiroga H, Costa FO, Holdich DM (2016) Distribution and species identification in the crustacean isopod genus Dynamene Leach, 1814 along the Northeast Atlantic-Black Sea axis. ZooKeys. 635: 1-29. doi:10.3897/zookeys.635.10240.
- Hoen R, Novoa EM, López A, Camacho N, Cubells L, Vieira P, Santos M, Marin-Garcia P, Bautista JM, Cortés A, Ribas de Pouplana L, Royo M (2013). Selective inhibition of an apicoplastic aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase from Plasmodium falciparum. Chemblochem. 14(4):499-509. doi: 10.1002/cbic.201200620.
- Mendonça N, Ramalho J, Vieira P, Da Silva GJ (2012). Association of plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance and virulence markers in Escherichia coli isolated from water. Journal of Water and Health. 10(2):288-94. doi: 10.2166/wh.2012.153.
Proceedings (total of 5):
- Vieira P, Raupach M, Costa FO, Queiroga H (2017). A DNA barcode reference library for the superorder Peracarida (Crustacea) from European coasts. Scientific abstracts from the 7th International Barcode of Life Conference. Genome 60(11): iii. doi:10.1139/gen-2017-0209.
- Vieira P, Raupach M, Queiroga H, Costa FO (2017). Compiling a global DNA barcode reference library for marine amphipods (Crustacea: Amphipoda). Biodiversity Journal 8 (2): 509-511.
- Vieira PE, Holdich D, Gomes N, Costa F and Queiroga H (2016). Deeply divergent DNA barcode lineages within Dynamene edwardsi (Isopoda) from the Northeast Atlantic suggest between four to eight cryptic species. Frontiers in Marine Science. Conference Abstract: XIX Iberian Symposium on Marine Biology Studies. doi: 10.3389/conf.FMARS.2016.05.00079.