Address : Campus de Gualtar. Braga
Research Area : Ecosystems and Global Change
Position : Integrated members
Group Leader at CBMA. Associate Professor at University of Minho. Deputy Director of IB-S (Institute of Science and Innovation for Bio-Sustainability). Deputy Director of CBMA (Centre of Molecular and Environmental Biology) Graduation in Biology at University of Coimbra. MSc in Environmental Sciences PhD in Freshwater Ecology at University of Minho
Impacts of global change on biodiversity and ecosystem processes in freshwaters with focus on organic matter turnover. Disentangling effects of mutlitple stressors. Adaptation and mitigation strategies to climate change. Impacts of emerging contaminants to freshwaters at the community-, population- and cellular-level, with focus on aquatic fungi and invertebrates. Molecular tools to assess microbial diversity. Experimental designs and data analysis.
2018-2021. STREAMECO: Biodiversity and Ecosystem Functioning under Climate Change: from the Gene to the Stream (PTDC/CTA-AMB/31245/2017)
Partners: MARE - Univ Coimbra
Total Budget: 234.291€
Budget UMinho: 198.308€
2018-2012. AQUAFIRE. Integrated Assessment of Wildfires: impacts to aquatic ecosystems and human health (POCI-01-0145-FEDER-028936)
PI at UMinho
Partners:CESAM - Univ Aveiro
Budget UMinho: 35.000€
2018-2021: EMERGEMIX: Impacts of mixtures of emerging contaminants in aquatic ecosystems across multi-levels of biological organization. (POCI-01-0145-FEDER-030922)
Partners: CIMAR - Univ Porto, CIMA - Univ Algarve
Total Budget: 232.946,98€
Budget Uminho: 174.808,12€
2018-2021. FunG-Eye - A functional approach to unravel the interaction between fungicide pollution and fungi-mediated ecosystem processes (POCI-01-0145-FEDER-029505).
Partners: CIMAR-Univ Porto, CESAM - Univ Aveiro
Budget UMinho: 209.495 €
2018-2021: ECOBIB: Eco-Innovative Bag-In-Box Solutions (POCI-01-0247-FEDER-033997)
Partners: Univ Minho (CBMA), VIZELPAS – Comércio de Artigos Plásticos, Lda.,Tecminho Associação Universidade Empresa para o desenvolvimento.
Total Budget: 657,722,95€
Budget UMinho: 168.045,90€
Funding Agency: ANI
2017-2020: CLIMALERT - Climate Alert Smart System for Sustainable Water and Agriculture. ERA-NET for Climate Services (ERA4CS).
Partner: UFZ-Leipzig, ICRA-Spain, IPMA
Total Budget: 844.735 €
Budget Uminho: 205.308 €
2016-2018: EcoAgriFood: Innovative green products and processes to promote Agri-Food BioEconomy
Leader WP2: Environmental and human risks of new products and processes for the agri-food sector
Budget UMinho: 1.289.747 €
2015-2018. WRANA. Wastewater reuse: improving the odds by understanding natural attenuation. ERA-Net Inno INDIGO.
2013-2015: FCT-DAAD-Effects of silver nanoparticles on litter decomposition and decomposers
2013-2015: FIRETOX - Toxic effects of wildfires on aquatic systems. PTDC/AAG-GLO/4176/2012
2013-2015: DIVERSEAQUAFUN - Molecular profiling of taxonomic, functional and genetic diversity of aquatic fungi along a pollution gradient. PTDC/AAG-GLO/3896/2012.
2011-2015. FRESHBIOFUN: Biodiversity and the functioning of detritus food-webs in freshwaters. PTDC/AAC-AMB/117068/2010.
2012-2015. ECO-IAS: Ecosystem-level impacts of an invasive alien species. PTDC/AAC-AMB/116685/2010.
2011-2015. NANOECOTOX-Impacts of metal nanoparticles to aquatic ecosystems: from community responses to cellular targets. PTDC/AAC-AMB/121650/2010.
2011-2014. FunDiver Development of molecular tools for assessing fungal diversity and activity in freshwaters. PTDC/AAC-AMB/113746/2009.
PhD students - Ongoing thesis
6- José Pedro Ramião (SFRH/BD/141486/2018) Modelling ecosystem services for improved watershed management under climate change. PhD programme in Molecular and Environmental Biology. (Co-supervision with C. Carvalho-Santos & R. Pinto). Started in October 2018.
5- José Miguel Trabulo (SFRH/BD/141244/2018) Microplastics in freshwaters: impacts on food-webs and mechanisms of action. PhD programme in Molecular and Environmental Biology. (Co-supervision with F. Cássio e A. Pradhan). Started in October 2018
4-Diana Graça (SFRH/BD/140761/2018). Impacts of biodiversity loss on stream ecosystem functioning under climate related stress. PhD programme in Molecular and Environmental Biology. Co-supervision with F.Cassio & I. Fernandes. Started in November 2018.
3. Ilisa Antunes (SFRH/BD/133625/2017). Biodiversity and functioning of freshwater ecosystems under global climate change. PhD programme in Molecular and Environmental Biology. ( (Co-supervision with F. Cássio & V. Acuña). Started in May 2018.
2. Francisco Carvalho (SFRH/BD/119957/2016). Impacts of freshwater invasive crayfish species on key ecosystem processes under a climate change scenario. PhD programme in Molecular and Environmental Biology. ( (Co-supervision with . Cássio & R. Sousa). Started in 2017
1. Nuno Martins. Exploring natural remediation processes as a tool for wastewater recovery and freshwater conservation. PhD Programme in Applied and Environmental Microbiology. (Co-supervisor with F. Cássio). Started in 2016.
PhD Students - Concluded thesis
6- Diana Barros (SFRH/BD/80407/2011). Proteomic and physiological responses to metal nanoparticles in aquatic microbes. (Co-supervision with F. Cássio e P. Santos). University of Minho 2018. Waiting for defense
5. Daniela Miranda Batista (SFRH/BD/88181/2012). Impacts of silver nanoparticles in freshwater detrital food-webs in a warming scenario. (Co-orientação com F. Cássio). University of Minho 2017.. Current Position: Invited Professor at UMinho
4. Adriana Novais (SFRH/BD/86463/2012) Aquatic invasive species as resource subsidies to adjacent terrestrial areas: functional importance. Co-orientação com R. Sousa. University of Minho 2017
3. Isabel Fernandes. Responses of aquatic decomposers to resource availability and increased temperature. Universidade do Minho. Suportada pela FCT SFRH/BD/42215/2007. (Co-orientação com F. Cássio). Junho 2008- Setembro 2013. Current Position: Junior researcher at UMinho
2. Arunava Pradhan. Impacts of nanoparticles to microbes and invertebrates: from community responses to cellular targets. Universidade do Minho. Suportado pela FCT SFRH/BD/45614/2008 (Co-orientação com F. Cássio & S. Seena). Fevereiro 2009-Setembro 2013. Current Position: Junior researcher at UMinho
1. Bárbara Dunck Oliveira. Functional diversity and adaptative strategies of periphytic algae in floodplain. Universidade Estadual de Maringá, Brasil. Doutoramento Sanduiche em Ecologia Funcional de Ecossitemas Aquáticos. 6 meses no CBMA-UMinho (13 Março - 2 Agosto 2013). Supervisor no Brasil: Liliana Rodrigues. Defendeu PhD em Dezembro 2013. Current position: Professor
CONCLUDED MASTER THESES:
MASTER IN ECOLOGY:
16- João Sousa: Comunidades de nemátodes associadas à interface entre sistemas agrícolas e naturais na Bacia do Cávado. Universidade do Minho. Co-supervision with Sofia Costa. 2020
15- Vânia Sousa: Avaliação ecotoxicológica de misturas de fungicidas nas cadeias alimentares detritívoras em ecossistemas de água doce. Universidade do Minho. Co-supervision with Bruno Castro. 2018
14- Ana Rita Carvalho. Biomonitorização e medidas de requalificação ecológica da Bacia do rio Ave. Universidade do Minho. Co-supervision with F. Cássio. 2016
13 -Ana Rita Pimentão. The role of specialists vs. generalists in ecosystem processes under environmental stress. Universidade do Minho. Co-supervision with Bruno Castro. 2016
12- José Pedro Ramião. Influência do arranjo espacial e do estado ecológico dos rios e dos sistemas adjacentes para os bens e serviços fornecidos pelos ecossistemas aquáticos. Master in Ecology. University of Minho. (co-super with F. Cássio). 2015. Current Position: PhD fellow at Univ Minho
11-Francisco André Costa Carvalho, Tema da Tese: Impacts of invasive omnivore predators on plant litter decomposition in streams: the case of Procambarus clarkii. Master in Ecology. University of Minho. (Co-supervision with F. Cássio and R. Sousa). 2013. Current Position: PhD fellow at Univ Minho
10-José Miguel Castro Trabulo. Effects of eutrophication on stream-dwelling decomposers of plant-litter. Master in Ecology. University of Minho. (Co-supervision with F. Cássio and S. Duarte). 2013. .Current position: PhD fellow at Univ Minho
9- Maria João Alves Nogueira. Efeitos dos incêndios florestais na decomposição da folhada em rios: estudo em microcosmos. Master in Ecology. University of Minho. (Co-supervision with F. Cássio and N. Abrantes). 2013.
8- Bruno Ricardo Campos Antunes. Impactos do cobre e do metalaxil-M em cadeias tróficas detritívoras em ribeiros. Master in Ecology. University of Minho. (Co-supervision with F. Cássio). 2013. Current position: working in private sector
7-Amaro Rodrigues. Video production to support practical classes in Ecology / Produção de vídeos para o ensino experimental da Ecologia. Master in Ecology. University of Minho. (Co-supervision with F. Cássio). 2012. Current Position: Laboratory Technician.
6- Paulo Geraldes. 2011. Fungal communities and functional measures as indicators of stream ecosystem health. Univ Minho. (Co-supervision with F. Cássio). Current Position: PhD student.
5- Eva Lima Fernandes. 2011. Eutrophication alters the effects of riparian plant diversity on litter decomposition by macroinvertebrates. University of Minho. (Co-supervision with F. Cássio). Current Position: PhD student in University Koblenz-Landau, Germany
4- Ana Pereira. 2011. Effects of plant-litter quality on litter decomposition by benthic invertebrates along a gradient of eutrophication. University of Minho. (Co-supervision with F. Cássio). Current Position: Project fellow at MARE - Univ Coimbra
3- Ricardo Sarmento Andrade . 2011. The role of fungal genetic diversity in organic matter decomposition in streams: a microcosm experiment. University of Minho. (Co-supervision with F. Cássio). Current Position: Teacher at Secondary School.
MASTER IN MOLECULAR GENETICS:
2- Isabel Fernandes. 2008. Effects of fungal diversity on leaf litter decomposition under cadmium stress: species number and traits. University of Minho. (Co-supervision with F. Cássio). Current Position: Junior researcher
MASTER IN ENVIRONMENTAL CONTAMINATION AND TOXICOLOGY:
1- Daniela Miranda Batista. 2010. Responses of aquatic decomposers to cadmium stress in a warming scenario. University of Porto (Co-Supervision). Current Position: Invited Professor at UMinho
GRADUATION IN APPLIED BIOLOGY:
18-Ana Rita Rodrigues (2014). Biodiversity and biogeography of aquatic fungi. Graduation in Applied Biology, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal, co-supervision with F. Cássio and S. Duarte. Current Position: Project fellow
17-Illisa Antunes. Efeitos da temperatura e da diversidade genética de hifomicetos aquáticos na decomposição da folhada. Universidade do Minho (Co-orientação com F. Cássio e S. Duarte) Abril-Julho 2013. Current Position: PhD student.
16-Mafalda Sousa. Efeitos da diversidade de hifomicetos aquáticos e da eutrofização na decomposição da folhada em rios. Universidade do Minho. (Co-orientação com F. Cássio e S. Duarte) Abril-Julho 2013. Current Position: MSc student.
15-José Pedro Ramião. Resposta dos decompositores aquáticos à temperatura em cenários de aquecimento global Universidade do Minho. (Co-orientação com F. Cássio). 2012. Current Position: PhD student.
14-Vera Dantas. Efeito da eutrofização na decomposição de folhada num cenário de aquecimento global. Universidade do Minho. (Co-orientação com F. Cássio). 2012. Current Position: MSc student.
13- Bruno Antunes. 2011. Does intraspecific diversity of aquatic fungi affect decomposition of riparian vegetation under Cd stress? University of Minho. Full-time training April-July. Current Position: Working at private sector
12- José Miguel Trabulo. 2011. Does species identity of aquatic fungi affect decomposition of riparian vegetation under Cd stress? University of Minho. Full-time training April-July. (Co-supervision with S. Duarte). Current Position: PhD student.
11- Francisco Carvalho. 2011. Does the riparian stand age affect ecosystem functioning in streams? University of Minho. Full-time training January-July. (Co-supervision with S. Seena). Current Position: PhD student
10-André Pinheiro. 2010. Interspecific relationships between aquatic fungi under cadmium stress. University of Minho. Full-time training April-July (Co-supervision with S. Duarte). Current Position: Assistant Researcher. Institute for Conservation Biology, Vienna, Austria
9- Maria João Nogueira. 2009. Effects of temperature on interspecific relationships among aquatic fungal decomposers. University of Minho. Full-time training April-July 2009 (Co-supervision with F. Cássio). Current Position: MsC student.
8- Cláudia Mendes. 2009. Efeito da temperatura no conteúdo em ergosterol de fungos aquáticos University of Minho. Full-time training September 2008 - December 2009. (Co-supervision with F. Cássio). PhD student
7- Paulo Geraldes. 2008. Efeitos da diversidade de fungos aquáticos e do aumento da temperatura na decomposição da folhada. University of Minho. Full-time training March-October. (Co-supervision with F. Cássio). Current Position: PhD student.
6- Eva Lima Fernandes. 2008. Construção de uma colecção de macroinvertebrados bentónicos com vista à sua futura identificação por meio de DNA barcoding. University of Minho. Full-time training April-July. (Co-supervision with F. Costa). Current Position: PhD student in University Koblenz-Landau, Germany
5- Helena Guimarães. 2008. Relações entre a diversidade da vegetação ribeirinha e a decomposição da folhada em rios num cenário de aquecimento global. University of Minho. Full-time training April-July. (Co-supervision with F. Cássio)
4- Rute Pinto. 2008. Efeito da qualidade da vegetação ribeirinha na decomposição por fungos aquáticos num cenário de aquecimento global. University of Minho. Full-time training April-July. (Co-supervision with F. Cássio)
3- Ana Catarina Moreirinha. 2007. Efeitos do cádmio e do fenantreno na decomposição de folhas de amieiro por hifomicetos aquaticos, University of Minho. Full-time training March-October. Current Position: PhD student.at Univ Aveiro
2- Isabel Fernandes. 2006. Efeito do zinco e do fósforo na decomposição de folhas de Alnus glutinosa por hifomicetos aquáticos, University of Minho. Full-time training March-October. Current Position: Post-doc.researcher
GRADUATION IN BIOCHEMISTRY
1- Bárbara Sousa. 2011. Impacts of pesticides on detritus foodwebs in freshwaters. Univ. Minho. Full-time training April-July. Current Position: M.Sc Student.
- Begüm Uzum. Effects of temperature-change events on microbial decomposition in freshwaters. University of Minho. Full-time training September-February 2007. PhD student
87. Batista D, Pascoal C, Cássio F (2020) Dietary exposure and temperature affect the toxicity of AgNPs to aquatic invertebrate shredders. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. DOI: 10.1002/etc.4738
86. Ramião JP, Cássio F, Pascoal C (2020) Riparian land use and stream habitat regulate water quality. Limnologica 125762 DOI: 10.1016/j.limno.2020.125762
85. Pimentão AR, Castro BB, Pascoal C, Cássio F. (2020) Fungistatic effect of agrochemical and pharmaceutical fungicides on non-target aquatic decomposers does not translate into decreased fungi- or invertebrate-mediated decomposition. Science of the Total Environment. 712: 135676. doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.135676
84. Barros D, Pradhan A, Pascoal C, Cássio F.(2020) Proteomic responses to silver nanoparticles vary with the fungal ecotype. Science of the Total Environment. 704:135385. doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.135385
83. Mora-Gomes J, Boix D, Duarte D, Cássio F, Pascoal C, Elosegi A, Romaní AM. (2019) Legacy of Summer Drought on Autumnal Leaf Litter Processing in a Temporary Mediterranean Stream. Ecosystems.
82. Carvalho F, Pradhan A, Abrantes A, Campos I, Keizer JJ, Cássio F, Pascoal C. (2019) Wildfire impacts on freshwater detrital food webs depend on runoff load, exposure time and burnt forest type. Science of the Total Environment 692: 691–700
81. Duarte S, Antunes B, Trabulo J, Seena S, Cássio F, Pascoal C (2019) Intraspecific diversity affects stress response and the ecological performance of a cosmopolitan aquatic fungus. Fungal Ecology 41: 218-223
80-Barros D, Pradhan A, Mendes VM, Manadas B, Santos PH, Pascoal C, Cássio F. 2019. Proteomics and antioxidant enzymes reveal different mechanisms of toxicity induced by ionic and nanoparticulate silver in bacteria. Environmental Science: Nano c8en01067f (DOI 10.1039/C8EN01067F)
79. Carvalho F, Pascoal C, Cássio F, Sousa R (2018) Intrapopulation phenotypic traits of an invasive crayfish affect leaf litter consumption. Hydrobiologia 819: 67-75
78. Mora-Gómez J, Duarte S, Cássio F, Pascoal C, Romani A (2018) Microbial decomposition is highly sensitive to leaf litter emersion in a permanent temperate stream. Science of the Total Environment 621: 486-496.
77. Novais A, Batista D, Cássio F, Pascoal C, Sousa R (2017) Effects of invasive clam (Corbicula fluminea) die-offs on the structure and functioning of freshwater ecosystems. Freshwater Biology 62:1908–1916.
76. Duarte S, Mora-Gómez J, Cássio F, Romani A, Pascoal C (2017) Responses of microbial decomposers to drought in streams may depend on the environmental contex. Environmental Microbiology Reports 9: 756–765 (DOI: 10.1111/1758-2229.12592).
75. Crespo D, Grilo TF, Baptista J, Coelho JP, Lillebø AL, Cássio F, Fernandes I, Pascoal C, Pardal MA, Dolbeth M. (2017) New climatic targets gainst global warming: will the maximum 2º C temperature rise affect estuarine benthic communities? Scientifc Reports 7: 3918. (DOI:10.1038/s41598-017-04309-0).
74. Duarte S, Cássio F, Pascoal C, Bärlocher F (2017) Taxa-area relationship of aquatic fungi on deciduous leaves. PLoS ONE12(7): e0181545. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0181545.
73. Seena S, Carvalho F, Cássio F, Pascoal C (2017) Does the developmental stage and composition of riparian forest stand affect ecosystem functioning in streams? Science of the Total Environment 609:1500-1511.
72. Batista D, Pascoal C, Cássio F (2017) Temperature modulates AgNP impacts on microbial decomposer activity. Science of the Total Environment 601-602:1324-133. doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.05.229.
71. Novais A, Pascoal C & Sousa R. (2017) Effects of invasive aquatic carrion on soil chemistry and terrestrial microbial communities. Biological Invasions 19: 2491-2502 (doi:10.1007/s10530-017-1459-4).
70. Duarte S, Cássio F, Pascoal C (2017) Environmental drivers are more important for structuring fungal decomposer communities than the geographic distance between streams. Limnetica 36: 491-506.
69. Batista D, Pascoal C, Cássio F (2017) How do physicochemical properties influence the toxicity of silver nanoparticles on freshwater decomposers of plant litter in streams? Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 140: 148–155.
68. Pereira A, Trabulo J, Fernandes I, Pascoal C, Cássio F, Duarte S. (2017) Spring stimulates leaf decomposition in moderately eutrophied streams Aquatic Sciences 79: 197-207 (doi: 10.1007/s00027-016-0490-3).
67. Novais A, Souza AT, Ilarri M, Pascoal C & Sousa R. (2016) Effects of the invasive clam Corbicula fluminea (Müller 1774) on the structure of an estuarine microbial community. Science of the Total Environment 566-567: 1168-1175 (doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.05.167)
66. Pradhan A, Silva C, Silva CJ, Pascoal C, Cássio F (2016) Enzymatic biomarkers can portray nanoCuO-induced oxidative and neuronal stress in freshwater shredders. Aquatic Toxicology 180: 227–235.
65. Duarte S, Cássio F, Ferreira V, Canhoto C, Pascoal C. (2016) Seasonal variability may affect microbial decomposers and leaf decomposition more than warming in streams Microbial Ecology 72: 263-276 (10.1007/s00248-016-0780-2).
64. Andrade R, Pascoal C, Cássio F. (2016) Effects of inter and intra-specific diversity and genetic divergence of aquatic fungal communities on leaf litter decomposition - a microcosm experiment FEMS Microbiology Ecology 92: 23-32 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/femsec/fiw102)
63. Mora-Gómez J, Elosegi A, Duarte S, Cássio F, Pascoal C, Romaní AM. (2016) Differences in the sensitivity of fungi and bacteria to season and invertebrates affect leaf litter decomposition in a Mediterranean stream. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 92 pii: fiw121 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/femsec/fiw121).
62. Pereira A, Geraldes P, Lima-Fernandes E, Fernandes I, Cássio F and Pascoal C. (2016) Structural and functional measures of leaf-associated invertebrates and fungi as predictors of stream eutrophication. Ecological Indicators 69: 648–656.
61. Barros D, Oliveira P, Pascoal C, Cássio F. (2016) Ethanol and phenanthrene increase the biomass of fungal assemblages and decrease plant litter decomposition in stream Science of the Total Environment 565:489-495.
60. Azevedo MM, Guimarães-Soares L, Pascoal C and Cássio F. (2016) Copper and Zn affect the activity of plasma membrane H+-ATPase and thiol content in aquatic fungi Microbiology SGM 162: 740-747 (DOI 10.1099/mic.0.000262).
59. Fernández D, Tummala M, Schreiner V, Duarte S, Pascoal C, Winkelman C, Mewes D, Muñoz K, Schäfer RB. (2016) Does nutrient enrichment compensate fungicide effects on litter decomposition and decomposer communities in streams? Aquatic Toxicology 174: 169–178.
58. Carvalho F, Pascoal C, Cássio F, Sousa R. (2016) Direct and indirect effects of an invasive omnivore crayfish on leaf litter decomposition. Science of the Total Environment 541, 714-720.
57. Duarte S, Bärlocher F, Pascoal C, Cássio F (2016) Biogeography of aquatic hyphomycetes: current knowledge and future perspectives. Fungal Ecology 19: 169-181 (doi:10.1016/j.funeco.2015.06.002).
56. Pradhan A, Geraldes P, Seena S, Pascoal C, Cássio F (2016) Humic acid can mitigate the toxicity of small copper oxide nanoparticles to microbial decomposers that drive leaf decomposition in streams. Freshwater Biology 61: 2197-2210 (doi: 10.1111/fwb.12662).
55. Tlili A, Berard A, Blanck H, Bouche A, Cássio F, Eriksson KM, Morin S, Montuelle B, Navarro E, Pascoal C, Pesce S, Schmitt-Janse M, Behra R. (2016) Pollution-induced community tolerance (PICT): towards an ecologically relevant risk assessment of chemicals in aquatic systems. Freshwater Biology 61:2141-2151 (doi: 10.1111/fwb.12558)
54. Novais A, Souza A, Ilarri M, Pascoal C, Sousa R (2015) From water to land: how an invasive clam may function as a resource pulse to terrestrial invertebrates. Science of the Total Environment 538: 664–671.
53. Fernandes I, Pereira A, Trabulo J, Pascoal C, Cássio F, Duarte S. (2015) Microscopy- or DNA-based analyses: which methodology gives a truer picture of stream-dwelling decomposer fungal diversity? Fungal Ecology 18: 130-134 doi:10.1016/j.funeco.2015.08.005.
52. Dunck B, Lima-Fernandes E, Cássio F, Cunha A, Rodrigues L, Pascoal C (2015) Responses of primary production, leaf litter decomposition and associated communities to stream eutrophication. Environmental Pollution 202: 32–40.
51. Novais A., Souza A., Ilarri M., Pascoal C. & Sousa R (2015) Facilitation in the low intertidal: effects of an invasive species on the structure of an estuarine macrozoobenthic assemblage. Marine Ecology Progress Series 522: 157-167 doi: 10.3354/meps11168.
50. Pradhan A, Seena S, Schlosser D, Gerth K, Helm S, Dobritzsch M, Krauss G-J, Dobritzsch D, Pascoal C, Cássio F (2015) Fungi from metal-polluted streams may have high ability to cope with the oxidative stress induced by copper oxide nanoparticles Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 34: 923–930 doi: 10.1002/etc.2879.
49. Pradhan A, Geraldes P, Seena S, Pascoal C, Cássio F (2015) Natural organic matter alters size-dependent effects of nanoCuO on the feeding behaviour of freshwater shredders. Science of the total Environment 34: 923-930 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2014.12.096.
48. Duarte S, Bärlocher F, Trabulo J, Cássio F, Pascoal C. 2015. Stream-dwelling fungal decomposer communities along a gradient of eutrophication unravelled by 454 pyrosequencing. Fungal diversity 70:127-148 DOI 10.1007/s13225-014-0300-y.
47. Lima-Fernandes E, Fernandes I, Geraldes P, Pereira A, Cássio F, Pascoal C (2015) Eutrophication modulates plant-litter diversity effects on litter decomposition in streams Freshwater Science. 34:31-41 http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/679223.
46. Fernandes I, Duarte S, Cássio F, Pascoal C (2015) Riparian-plant diversity affects invertebrate shredder activity and the quality of fine particulate organic matter in streams. Marine and Freshwater Research 66: 449-458 http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/MF14089.
45. Duarte S, Batista D, Bärlocher F, Cássio F, Pascoal C (2015) Some new DNA barcodes of aquatic hyphomycete species. Mycoscience 56: 102-108 10.1016/j.myc.2014.04.002.
44. Pradhan A, Pinheiro JP, Seena S, Pascoal C, Cássio F (2014) Polyhydroxy fullerene binds cadmium ions and alleviates oxidative stress induced by metals in yeasts. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 80: 5874-5881.
43. Fernandes I, Seena S, Pascoal C, Cássio F. (2014) Elevated temperature may intensify the positive effects of nutrients on microbial decomposition in streams. Freshwater Biology 59: 2390-2399.
42. Duarte S, Bärlocher F, Cássio F, Pascoal C. (2014) Current status of DNA barcoding of aquatic hyphomycetes. Sydowia (mini review) 66: 191-202.
41. Pradhan A, Seena S, Dobritzsch D, Helm S, Gerth K, Dobritzsch M, Krauss G-J, Schlosser D, Pascoal C, Cássio F. (2014) Physiological responses to nanoCuO in fungi from non-polluted and metal-polluted streams. Science of the total Environment 466–467: 556–563.
40. Fernandes I, Duarte S, Cássio F, Pascoal C (2013) Effects of riparian plant diversity loss on aquatic microbial decomposers become more pronounced with increasing time. Microbial Ecology 66:763–772.
39. Duarte S, Fernandes I, Cássio F, Pascoal C (2013) Temperature alters interspecific relationships among aquatic fungi. Fungal Ecology 6: 187-191.
38. Duarte S, Seena S, Bärlocher F, Pascoal C; Cássio F (2013) A decade´s perspective on the impact of DNA sequencing on aquatic hyphomycete research. Fungal Biology Reviews 27:19-24.
37. Flores L, Ramón Díez J, Larrañaga A, Pascoal C & Elosegi A (2013) Effects of retention site on breakdown of organic matter in a mountain stream. Freshwater Biology 58: 1267-1278.
36. Duarte S, Fidalgo L, Pascoal C, Cássio F. (2012) The role of the freshwater shrimp Atyaephyra desmarestii in leaf litter breakdown in streams. Hydrobiologia 680: 149-157.
35. Seena S, Duarte S, Pascoal C, Cássio F (2012) Intra-specific variation of the aquatic fungus Articulospora tetracladia: a ubiqutous perspective. PLos ONE 7(4):e35884.
34. Pradhan A, Seena S, Pascoal C, Cássio F (2012) Copper oxide nanoparticles can induce toxicity to the freshwater shredder Allogamus ligonifer. Chemosphere 89: 1142-1150.
33. Batista D, Pascoal C, Cássio F (2012) Impacts of warming on freshwater decomposers along a gradient of cadmium stress. Environmental Pollution 169: 35-41.
32. Geraldes P, Pascoal C, Cássio F (2012) Effects of increased temperature and aquatic fungal diversity loss on litter decomposition. Fungal Ecology 5: 734-740.
31. Fernandes I, Pascoal C, Guimarães H, Pinto R, Sousa I, Cássio F (2012) Higher temperature reduces the effects of litter quality on decomposition by aquatic fungi. Freshwater Biology 57:2006-2317.
30. Duarte S, Seena S, Bärlocher F, Cássio F, Pascoal C (2012) Preliminary insights into the phylogeography of six aquatic hyphomycete species. PLos ONE 7(9): e45289.
29. Pradhan A, Seena S, Pascoal C, Cássio F (2011) Can metal nanoparticles be a threat to freshwater microbial decomposers? Microbial Ecology 62: 58-68.
28. Fernandes I, Pascoal C, Cássio F (2011) Intraspecific traits change biodiversity effects on ecosystem functioning under metal stress. Oecologia 166:1019-1028.
27 Moreirinha C, Duarte S, Pascoal C, Cássio F (2011) Effects of cadmium and phenanthrene mixtures on aquatic fungi and microbially-mediated leaf litter decomposition. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 61:211-219.
26. Reiss J, Bailey RA, Cássio F, Woodward G, Pascoal C (2010) Assessing the contribution of micro-organisms and macrofauna to biodiversity-ecosystem functioning relationships in freshwater microcosms. Advances in Ecological Research 43: 151-176.
25. Reiss J, Forster J, Cássio F, Pascoal C, Stewart R, Hirst A (2010) When Microscopic Organisms Inform General Ecological Theory. Advances in Ecological Research 43: 45-85.
24. Seena S, Pascoal C, Marvanová L, Cássio F (2010) DNA barcoding of fungi: a case study using ITS sequences for identifying aquatic hyphomycete species. Fungal Diversity 44:77-87.
23. Medeiros AO, Duarte S, Pascoal C, Cássio F, Graça MAS (2010) Effects of Zn, Fe and Mn on leaf litter breakdown by aquatic fungi: a microcosm study. International Review of Hydrobiology 95:12-26.
22. Pascoal C, Cássio F, Nikolcheva LG, Bärlocher F (2010) Realized fungal diversity increases functional stability of leaf-litter decomposition under zinc stress. Microbial Ecology 59:84–93.
21. Duarte S, Pascoal C, Alves A, Correia A, Cássio F (2010) Assessing the dynamic of microbial communities during leaf decomposition in a low-order stream by microscopic and molecular techniques. Microbiological Research 165: 351-362.
20. Duarte S, Pascoal C, Garabetian F, Cássio F, Charcosset J-Y (2009) Microbial decomposer communities are mainly structured by the trophic status in circumneutral and alkaline streams. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 75: 6211-6221.
19. Fernandes I, Uzun B, Pascoal C, Cássio F (2009) Responses of aquatic fungal communities on leaf litter to temperature-change events. International Review of Hydrobiology 94: 410-418.
18. Sridhar KR, Duarte S, Cássio F, Pascoal C (2009) The role of early fungal colonizers in leaf-litter decomposition in Portuguese streams impacted by agricultural runoff. International Review of Hydrobiology 94: 399-409.
17. Fernandes I, Duarte S, Cássio F, Pascoal C (2009) Mixtures of zinc and phosphate affect plant litter decomposition by aquatic fungi. Science of the total Environment 407:4283-438.
16. Duarte S, Pascoal C, Cássio F (2009) Functional stability of stream-dwelling microbial decomposers exposed to copper and zinc stress Freshwater Biology 54: 1638-1691.
15. Medeiros AO, Pascoal C, Graça MAS (2009) Diversity and activity of aquatic fungi under low oxygen conditions Freshwater Biology 54: 142-149.
14. Duarte S, Pascoal C, Cássio F (2008) High diversity of fungi may mitigate the impact of pollution on plant litter decomposition in streams. Microbial Ecology 66: 688-695.
13. Duarte S, Pascoal C, Alves A, Correia A, Cássio F (2008) Copper and zinc mixtures induce shifts in microbial communities and reduce leaf litter decomposition in streams. Freshwater Biology 53: 91-102.
12. Azevedo M-M, Carvalho A, Pascoal C, Rodrigues F, Cássio F (2007) Responses of antioxidant defenses to Cu and Zn stress in two aquatic fungi. Science of the Total Environment 377: 233-243.
11. Mesquita A, Pascoal C, Cássio F (2007) Assessing effects of eutrophication in streams based on breakdown of eucalypt leaves. Fundamental and Applied Limnology (formerly Archiv für Hydrobiologie) 168: 221-230.
10. Guimarães-Soares L, Pascoal C, Cássio F (2007) Effects of heavy metals on the production of thiol-compounds by the aquatic hyphomycetes Fontanospora fusiramosa and Flagellospora curta. Ecotoxicology and Environmental. 66: 36–43.
09. Duarte S, C Pascoal, F Cássio, F Bärlocher (2006) Aquatic hyphomycete diversity and identity affect leaf litter decomposition in microcosms. Oecologia 147: 658–666.
08. Pascoal C, Cássio F, Marcotegui A, Sanz B, Gomes P (2005) The role of fungi, bacteria, and invertebrates in leaf litter breakdown in a polluted river. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 24:784-797.
07. Pascoal C, Marvanová L, Cássio F (2005) Aquatic hyphomycete diversity in streams of Northwest Portugal. Fungal Diversity 19: 109-128.
06. Pascoal C, Cássio F, Marvanová L (2005) Anthropogenic stress may affect aquatic hyphomycete diversity more than leaf decomposition in a low order stream. Archiv für Hydrobiologie 162: 481-496.
05. Duarte S, C Pascoal, F Cássio (2004) Effects of zinc on leaf decomposition by fungi in streams: studies in microcosms Microbial Ecology 48: 366-374.
04. Pascoal C, F Cássio (2004) Contribution of fungi and bacteria to leaf litter decomposition in a polluted river. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 70: 5266-5273.
03. Pascoal C., M. Pinho, F. Cássio & P. Gomes (2003). Assessing structural and functional ecosystem condition using leaf breakdown: studies on a polluted river. Freshwater Biology 48: 2033-2044.
02. Marvanová, L., C. Pascoal & F. Cássio (2003). New and rare hyphomycetes from streams of Northwest Portugal. Part I. Cryptogamie, Mycologie 24: 339-358. Q
01. Pascoal C., F. Cássio & P. Gomes (2001). Leaf breakdown rates: a measure of water quality? International Review of Hydrobiology 86: 407-416.
7- Ferreira V, Canhoto C, Pascoal C, Graça MAS (2019) Processos ecológicos. In: Rios de Portugal. Comunidades, Processos e Alterações. Feio MJ I & Ferreria V. Imprensa da Universidade de Coimbra (https://doi.org/10.14195/978-989-26-1624-7): 281-307
6. Ferreira V, Gulis V, Pascoal C & Graça MAS (2014) Stream pollution and fungi. In: Freshwater Fungi and Fungus-like Organisms. Jones G, Pang K-L & Hyde K (eds). De Gruyter Series: Marine and Freshwater Botany. De Gruyter, Berlin, Germany. pp. 381–404.
5- Duarte S, Cássio F, Pascoal C. 2012. Denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis (DGGE) in microbial ecology: insights from freshwaters. In: Gel Electrophoresis / Book 1. A. Lazinica (Ed). ISBN 979-953-307-474-9.
4- Proia L, Cássio F, Pascoal C, Tlili A, Romani A. 2012. The use of attached microbial communities to assess ecological risks of pollutants in aquatic ecosystems. The role of heterotrophs. In: Emerging and Priority Pollutants in Rivers: Bringing Science into River Management Plans. Guasch H, Ginebreda A, Geiszinger A. (Eds) Springer, Germany. pp. 55-83.
3- Sridhar KR, Karamchand KS, Pascoal C, Cássio F. (2012) Assemblage and diversity of fungi on wood and seaweed litter of seven Northwest Portuguese beaches. In: Biology of Marine Fungi - Marine Molecular Biotechnology. Raghukumar C (Ed). Springer, Germany. pp. 209-228
2-Romani A., J. Artigas, A. Camacho, M. Graça & C. Pascoal (2009) La biota de los ríos: los microorganismos heterotróficos. In: Conceptos y técnicas para el estudio de la ecología de ríos. A. Elosegi & S. Sabater (Ed). Fundación BBVA. pp. 193-249.
1-Pascoal C. & F. Cássio (2008) Linking fungal diversity to the functioning of freshwater ecosystems. In: Novel Techniques and Ideas in Mycology. KR Sridhar, F. Bärlocher & Hyde K.D (Ed.). Fungal diversity Press. Hong Kong.pp. 1-15.
Pavlicek T, Cardet P, Almeida MT, Pascoal C & Cássio F. Eds. (2014). Advances in Earthworm Taxonomy VI (Annelida: Oligochaeta). - Proceedings of the 6th International Oligochaete Taxonomy Meeting, Palmeira de Faro, Portugal. Kasparek Verlag, Heidelberg (Germany). 188 pp.