Research Area : Molecular targets
Position : Integrated members
Microbial Physiology with special foccus on transport mechanisms and metabolism of weak carboxylic acids in yeast as well on the molecular basis underlying weak carboxylic acid resistance in yeast. I was particularly focused on the exploitation/application of new analytical cytological approaches in yeast biology studies, namely: in detection of weak acids induced functional and structural changes in yeast specifically in the determination of yeast mitochondrial potential, effects of fungicides on S. cerevisiae cell cycle, determination of yeast DNA ploidy, based on the development of new DNA staining protocol, use of fluorescent proteins for in vivo monitor of cellular processes in S. cerevisiae and in the determination of yeast antifungic susceptibility.
Currently my main scientific research area is on Regulated Cell Death processes and on the use of yeast as a cellular model to study the biochemical/molecular mechanisms underlying these processes. I have been particularly interested on the role of mitochondria in yeast apoptosis induced by different stress agents and on the elucidation of mechanisms underlying mitochondrial outer membrane and vacuolar permeabilization. I have also been exploiting the yeast heterologous expression system to study apoptosis regulation by mammalian proteins, such as proteins of the Bcl-2 family, Protein Kinase C isoforms and p53. I am currently investigating the signaling pathways involved acetic acid-induced cell death, and the phosphoregulation of Bax-dependent cell death as well as the mechanism underlying the anti-tumoral activity of lactoferrin. I have also started to develop studies with mammalian cell lines, which corroborated several of my major findings obtained in the yeast model.
Participation in research projects:
• SOURDOMICS - Sourdough biotechnology network towards novel, healthier and sustainable food and bioprocesses. CA18101. COST Action Association. Team member (2018-2022).
• TUDOMICS - Omics approaches towards the industrial exploitation of Torulaspora delbrueckii: Elucidation of the molecular basis underlying complex cellular traits. Project supported by FCT. Team member (2018- 2021).
• FUNGEYE - A functional approach to unravel the interaction between fungicide pollution and fungi mediated ecosystem processes. Project supported by PTDC/CTA-AMB/29505/2017. Team member (2018-2021).
• NEWFOOD, team member responsible for the project on Recovery of acidic wines through reduction of their volatile acidity by the yeast Zygosaccharomyces bailli.
• Nextsea, Next Generation Monitoring of Coastal Systems in a Scenario of Global Change, team member.
• EP - INTERREG V A España Portugal (POCTEP), CTB - CLUSTER TRANSFRONTERIZO DE BIOTECNOLOGIA. Consolidacion , crecimiento y competitividad del sector biotecnologico transfronterizo, team member.
• Modulation of Bax activity and partner interaction by phosphoregulation, Acordos Bilaterais Programa PESSOA 2017-2019, project´s PI.
• Phosphoregulation of Bax-dependent cell death- Phosphobax FCT-ANR/BEX-BCM/0175/2012, 2013-2016, project´s PI.
• Função da esfingomielinase neutra da levedura na função mitocondrial e homeostasia do ferro, FCT-PTDC/BBB-BQB/1850/2012, 2013-2015, task leader.
• Regulação da activação de Bax pelo oncogene PKCepsilon: Um método para eliminar células cancerígenas, FCT-EXPL/BIM-ONC/0056/2012, 2013-2014, member of the team.
( In the scope of this project, 1 paper was published and 2 manuscripts were prepared. A master thesis was completed and the results were presented in a national meeting).
• ZygoSacAR-Mecanismos de resistência a ácidos fracos em leveduras contaminantes alimentares: do modelo experimental Saccharomyces cerevisiae a Zygosaccharomyces spp, FCT, 2010-2013. PTDC/AGR-ALI/102608/2008, member of the team.
• Elucidação da via apoptótica induzida pela ceramida: modulação de isoformas da Cínase C de Proteína, FCT, 2009-2012, project´s PI.
(In the scope of this project, we published 5 articles in international journals with peer review, 1 book chapter, 1 article is under review, and 4 manuscripts were prepared for publication; 1 PhD thesis and 7 Masters thesis have also been completed; several works were presented at national and international meetings with 10 and 7 communications, respectively, of which 5 as invited speakers).
• Role of ceramides and ceramides channels in the process of mitochondrial membrane permeabilization in the process of programmed cell death in yeast, Cooperação Portugal/França-Programa Pessoa, 2010-2011, project´s PI.
• Identification of Molecular components involved in the mitochondrial membrane permeabilization during programmed cell death: role of the ANT, VDAC and ceramides. Acções Universitárias Integradas Luso-Francesas / PAUILF 2010-2011, project´s PI.
• Investigating the role of Cofilin in mitochondrial permeabilisation and apoptosis, Acções Integradas Luso-Britânicas, CRUP, 2010, project´s PI.
• Molecular mechanismos of autophagic cell death in yeast, Acções integradas de Cooperação Científica e Técnica Luso-Francesas, Programa PESSOA 2007-2008, project´s PI.
• "Volatile phenol producing yeasts: a big concern in the wine industry that needs to be understood". The project was carried out from 2005 to 2008 and was financed by POCTI - Programa Operacional "Ciência, Tecnologia, Inovação", ref.ª POCTI/AGR/56771/2004, task leader.
• “Mechanisms of cell death induced by ethanol and acetic acid in Saccharomyces cerevisiae” The project was carried out from 2004 to 2005 and was financed by Acções integradas de Cooperação Científica e Técnica Luso-Francesas, Programa PESSOA 2004/2005, task leader.
• "Security and control of wine quality: implementation of rapid thecniques to microbial tractability and monitoring" The project was carried out from 2004 to 2006 and was financed by Acção 1 da Medida 8 do Programa AGRO, ref.ª 762 do INIAP, member of the team.
• "Involvement of sphyngolipids in aging and cell death of Saccharomyces cerevisiae – role of sphyngomielinase Isc 1 p". The project was carried out from 2003 to 2006 and was financed by Eixo 2, Medida 2.3 do POCTI – Programa Operacional "Ciência, Tecnologia, Inovação" do QCAIII, ref.ª POCTI/BCI/45066/2002, task leader.
• "Biose - Sutidies and Services in Biology". The project was carried out from 2002 to 2004 and was financed by Contrato Programa do Projecto nº 40/00874 "Empreender na Universidade", in the scope of Medida 2.2 A.2 do POE, project´s PI.
• "Removal of acetic acid from grape musts and sour wines". The project was carried out from 1999 to 2000 and was financed by PRAXIS, member of the team.
• "Utilization of Fungicides in Vitiviniculture: Effects in yeasts and wine fermentations". The project was carried out from 1997 to 1999 and was financed by PAMAF. Member of the team.
• "Isolation and characterization of yeasts: aplications in enology". project was carried out from 1996 to 1999 and was financed by PAMAF, member of the team.
• "Spoilage yeasts in food and beverages: characterization and ecology for improved diagnosis and culture". The project was carried out from 1993 to 1996 and was finaced by CEE through the program "Agriculture and Agro-Industry, Including Fisheries", member of the team.
• "Utilization of gluconeogenic substrates by non conventional yeasts. Biochemical mechanisms". The project was carried out from 1992 to 1995 and was financed by JNICT, project´s PI.
• "Transport of organic acids and its regulationin yeasts". The project was carried out from 1992 to 1995 and was financed by Glaxo Farmacêutica, member of the team.
• "Utilization of organc acids by industrial yeasts: fundamental and applied issues". The project was carried out on 1993 and was financed by JNICT, member of the team.
• "Transport and utilization of malic acid and other dicarboxylic acids by enological yeasts". Member of the research team.The project was carried out from 1987 to 1991 e foi financiado pela JNICT, member of the team.
I was involved in the supervision of 15 PhD, 29 master students, and 3 pos-doc.
PhD Thesis concluded (name, title of the dissertation, year completed and the student’s current job position)
• Rego António, PhD thesis on "The role of ceramides in the mitochondrial apoptotic pathway induced by acetic acid", 2017. Researcher fellowship.
• Suellen Oliveira, PhD thesis on "Unravelling the mechanisms underlying acetate induced apoptosis in colorectal cancer", 2016. Researcher fellowship.
• Helena Pereira, PhD thesis on "The role of Pep4p, the vacuolar yeast protease ortholog of human Cathepsin D, in mitochondria-dependent apoptosis", 2015.
• Gabriela Ribeiro, PhD on "Characterization of Fatty Acid Secretion by Sacharomyces cerevisiae Mutant Strains", 2014.
• Sara Alves, PhD thesis on " Impact of mutated KRAS signalling on autophagy regulation on colorectal carcinoma", 2014. Researcher fellowship.
• Dário Trindade , PhD thesis on " Contribution of the adenine nucleotide carrier, porin, and sphingolipid metabolism to mitochondria membrane permeabilization in Saccharomyces cerevisiae", 2013. Researcher fellowship.
• Isabel Coutinho, PhD thesis on "Study of p53-signalling pathway and pharmacological screening of small-molecules targeting p53 function". Posdoc fellowship since 2012.
• Rui Silva, "A new approach for the study of individual PKC isoform modulation of Bcl-2/Bax mediated cell survival: searching for apoptosis based-therapeutic agents”, 2011. Posdoc since 2013.
• Alice Moura, PhD thesis on "Isolation and Characterization of Yeasts: Application in Controlled processes of Volatile Acidity Bio-reduction in Wines", 2010. Auxiliar Professor.
• Clara Pereira, PhD thesis on "Involvement of mitochondrial proteins in yeast apoptosis", 2008. Researcher fellowship.
• Teresa Almeida, PhD thesis on "Involvement of sphingolipids signaling in aging and cell death of Saccharomyces cerevisiae – the role of the sphingomyelinase Isc1p", 2009. Posdoc since 2008.
• Ludovico P. "Mitochondrial structural and functional alterations and its relation with cell death in e Saccharomyces cerevisiae", 2002. Associated Professor.
• Rodrigues F. "Regulation of acetic acid metabolism in Zygosaccharomyces bailii: physiological and molecular studies", 2001. Associated Professor.
• Prudêncio C. “Elucidation of mechanisms underlying pleiotropic drug resistance in yeasts", 2000. Professor of a higher education institute.
• Miranda L. "Mecanismos subjacentes à resistência da levedura Zygosacharomyces bailii a ambientes extremos", 1998. Professor of a Higher School.
Master Thesis concluded (name, title of the dissertation, year completed and the student’s current job position
• Costa R. Master Thesis in Molecular Genetics entitled "The role of the DNA damage response in proteasome-mediated sensitivity to the anti-cancer agent cisplatin", 2018
• Silva D. Master Thesis in Molecular Genetics entitled "The role of mitochondrial effectors of cell death in ?isc1 mutants", 2017
• Guedes J. Master Thesis in Molecular Genetics entitled "Molecular mechanisms underlying the anticancer activity of lactoferrin in highly metastatic cancer cell lines", 2017.
• Machado N. Master Thesis in Molecular Genetics entitled "The mechanism underlying proteasome-mediated sensitivity to the chemotherapeutic agent cisplatin", 2017
• Gonçalves M. Master Thesis in Molecular Genetics entitled "Fluorescence-based approaches towards the assessment of structural and functional alterations in lysosomes and vacuoles induced by lactoferrin and acetic acid", 2015.
• Pereira, C. Master Thesis in Molecular Genetics entitled "Molecular mechanism underlying the anti-tumoral activity of lactoferrin", 2015. Researcher fellowship.
• Loureiro, L. Master Thesis in Applied Biochemistry entitled "Functional characterization of mitochondrial suspensions by cytofluorimetric techniques towards the screening of mitochondrial target drugs", Marsh 2015.
• Campos, V. Master Thesis in Applied Biochemistry entitled "Signaling Isc1p-regulated cell death: the role of possible downstream mitochondrial mediators", January 2015.
• Silva, A. Master Thesis in Applied Biochemistry entitled "Identification of new yeast phosphatases involved in the regulation of Bax", January 2015.
• Pereira, S. Master Thesis in Applied Biochemistry entitled "Modulation of Bax: An approach to eliminate cancer cells", January 2015.
• Fernandes, E. Master Thesis in Applied Biochemistry entitled "Crosstalk between mitochondria and the vacuole in acetic acid-induced apoptosis",2014. Unknown job position.
• Fernandes, T. Master Thesis in Molecular Genetics entitled "The role of phospholipids and of the actin-binding protein cofilin in Saccharomyces cerevisiae acetic acid-induced apoptosis ", 2013. Researcher fellowship.
• Rocha, N. Master Thesis in Applied Biochemistry entitled "Role of apoptotic regulators in the protective effect of acetic acid against ethanol - induced cell death in Saccharomyces cerevisiae", 2014. Unknown job position.
• Barreto, J. Master Thesis in Sciences - teachers continuous training entitled " Current overview of the role of short-chain fatty acids in prevention or therapy of colorectal carcinoma", 2013. Secondary School teacher.
• Rodrigues, J. Master Thesis in Genética Molecular entitled “Functional characterization by cytofluorimetric techniques of purified mitochondria and vacuoles to understand their role in apoptosis "", 2012. Researcher fellowship.
• Sousa, M. Master Thesis in Genética Molecular entitled “Identification of genes involved in the regulation of acetic acid-induced programmed cell death ", 2012. Unknown job position.
• Rego, A. Master Thesis in Genética Molecular entitled “ Characterization of the role of sphingolipid metabolism in acetic acid induced-apoptosis", 2011. PhD student since Sept 2012.
• Afonso, A. Master Thesis in Genética Molecular, entitled “Resistance of Saccharomyces cerevisiae to ethanol and protective effect of acetic acidácido acético”, 2011. Created an enterprise related with plant cultures.
• Dóris, A. Master Thesis in Genética Molecular, entitled "Functional characterization of purified vacuoles and evaluation of their role in yeast apoptosis induced by acetic acid", 2011, short term researcher fellowship.
• Trindade, D. Master Thesis in Genética Molecular, entitled "Papel do Fps1p na resistência de Saccharomyces cerevisiae ao etanol e na resistência cruzada com o ácido acético”, 2009. PhD student since 2009.
• Ribeiro, G. Master Thesis in Genética Molecular, entitled " Characterization of DNA lesions in apoptotic Saccharomyces cerevisiae", 2005. PhD student since Sept 2009.
• Silva, R. Master Thesis in Genética Molecular, entitled "Elucidação dos mecanismos de morte celular induzidos por choque hiperosmótico em Saccharomyces cerevisiae", 2005. Pos-doc student since 2013.
• Schuller, D. Master Thesis in Mestrado em Ciências do Ambiente, entitled "Desenvolvimento de um meio de cultura selectivo/diferencial para a levedura de contaminação alimentar Zygosaccharomyces bailii", co-supervision, 1998. Auxiliar Professor.
• Fortuna, M. Master Thesis in Genética Molecular Microbiana, entitled "Estudos sobre os efeitos de fungicidas de utilização na vitivinicultura no crescimento e ciclo celular da levedura Saccharomyces cerevisiae"co-supervision, 1999. Professor at a private higher education institute.
• Ludovico, P. Master Thesis in Genética Molecular Microbiana, entitled "Efeitos do ácido acético no potencial de membrana mitocondrial e sua relação com a perda de integridade e viabilidade celular em Zygosaccharomyces bailii e Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Estudos por citometria de fluxo e espectrofluorimetria", 1999. Associated Professor.
• Rodrigues, F. Master Thesis in Genética Molecular Microbiana, entitled "Estudos sobre a regulação do metabolismo intracelular de ácido acético na levedura Zygosaccharomyces bailii"", 1999. Associated Professor.
• Prudêncio, C. Master Thesis in Genética Molecular Microbiana, entitled “Estudos sobre alterações funcionais induzidas pelo ácido acético em Saccharomyces cerevisiae e e Zygosaccharomyces bailii. Avaliação por citometria de fluxo”, 1995. Professor at a higher education institute.
• Amador, P. Master Thesis in Genética Molecular Microbiana, entitled “Mecanismos subjacentes à utilização sequencial do ácido málico e da glucose por um mutante desreprimido da levedura Pichia anomala”, 1995. Auxiliar Professor at a Technical Higher School.
• Borges, F. Master Thesis in Ensino de Biologia e Geologia, entitled "Utilização de substratos glicolíticos e gluconeogénicos na levedura Hansenula anomala. Uma abordagem teórico-experimental para o ensino da biologia", 1994. Auxiliar Professor.
Johansson B. "Cytochrome c protein interactions involved in Saccharomyces cerevisiae programmed cell death", Departamento de Biologia da Universidade do Minho. Auxiliar Professor.
Pacheco A. "Elucidation of signaling pathways involved in ceramide-induced cell death", Departamento de Biologia da Universidade do Minho. Finished pos-doc fellowship in December 2012. High Specialized trainer
to nursery students, Angola.
Chaves S. "Yeast as a model system to study mechanisms regulating cisplatin sensitivity and resistance"
8. Sá-Correia, J.F Guerreiro, M.C. Loureiro-Dias, C. Leão, M. Côrte-Real, ZYGOSACCHAROMYCES In: Encyclopedia of Food Microbiology 2nd Edition, edited by Carl Batt & Mary Lou Tortorello, 2014.
7. Sousa, M. J., Ludovico, P., Rodrigues, F., Leão, C. and M. Côrte-Real M. "Stress and Cell Death in Yeast Induced by Acetic Acid" in Cell Metabolism - Cell Homeostasis and Stress Response, ISBN 978-953-307-978-3, edited by Paula Bubulya, 2012.
6. Sousa, M.J., Rodrigues, F., Côrte-Real, M. e Leão C. "Transporte transmembranar " In: Biologia Celular e Molecular, Carlos Azevedo e Claudio Sunkel (Eds), 5ª Edição, Lidel Edições Técnicas, Lisboa, 2012.
5. Johansson, B., Saraiva, L. e Côrte-Real, M. "Nutrição e Crescimento Microbiano" In: Microbiologia, Wanda Ferreira, João C. Sousa e Nelson Lima (Eds), Lidel Edições Técnicas, Lisboa, 2010.
4. Schuller, D., Côrte-Real, M. and Leão, C. "Use of a differential/ culture medium for the enumeration of Zygosaccharomyces bailii, Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Pichia membranefaciens" in Non-conventional Yeasts in Genetics, Biochemistry, and Biotechnology Practical Protocols. Published by Springer Lab Manual, Chapter 67, 459 462, Wolf, Breunigand Barth Eds.
3. Rodrigues, F., Sousa, M. J., Côrte-Real, M. and Leão, C. "Zygosaccharomyces bailii: an yeast with a peculiar pattern for the regulation of acetic acid metabolism in the presence of glucose" In Non-conventional Yeasts in Genetics, Biochemistry, and Biotechnology Practical Protocols. Published by Springer Lab Manual, Chapter 64, 403 410, Wolf, Breunigand Barth Eds.
2. Côrte-Real, M., Ludovico, P., Rodrigues, F. e Leão, C. "Metabolismo Primário" In: Biotecnologia: Fundamentos e Aplicações, Nelson Lima e Manuel Mota (Eds), Lidel Edições Técnicas, Lisboa, 2003.
1. Fortuna, M., Sousa, M. J., Salvador, A., Sansonetty, F., Côrte-Real, M. and Leão, C. (2000) “Cell cycle analysis of Yeast. Current Protocols in Cytometry” (11.13.1-11.13.9), published by John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Papers in scientific international journals with peer review:
87. Rego A, Mendes F, Costa V, Chaves SR, Côrte-Real M (2020) Pkh1p-Ypk1p and Pkh1p-Sch9p Pathways Are Activated by Acetic Acid to Induce a Mitochondrial-Dependent Regulated Cell Death, Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, Volume 2020, Article ID 7095078, https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/7095078.
86. Barbosa C, Santos-Pereira C, Soares I, Martins V, Terra-Matos J, Côrte-Real M, Lúcio M, Oliveira MECDR, Gerós H. (2019) Resveratrol-Loaded Lipid Nanocarriers Are Internalized by Endocytosis in Yeast, J Nat Prod. 24;82(5):1240-1249.
85. Costa AR, Machado N, Rego A, Sousa MJ, Côrte-Real M, Chaves SR (2019) Proteasome inhibition prevents cell death induced by the chemotherapeutic agent cisplatin downstream of DNA damage, DNA Repair 73:28-33.
84. V.M. Martins , T.R. Fernandes, C.B. Afonso, D. Lopes, M.R.M. Domingues, M. Côrte-Real, M.J. Sousa (2018) Contacts in Death: The Role of the ER-Mitochondria Axis in Acetic Acid-Induced Apoptosis in Yeast, International Journal of Moleclar Biology pii: S0022-2836(18)30933-1. doi:10.1016/j.jmb.2018.11.002.
83. A.R. Costa, N. Machado, A. Rego, M.J. Sousa, M. Côrte-Real, S.R. Chaves Proteasome inhibition prevents cell death induced by the chemotherapeutic agent cisplatin downstream of DNA damage DNA Repair https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dnarep.2018.10.006.
82. SD Gomes, CS Oliveira, J Azevedo-Silva, M Casanova, J Barreto, H Pereira, S Chaves, L Rodrigues, M Casal, M Corte-Real, F Baltazar, A Preto (2018) The Role of Diet Related Short-Chain Fatty Acids in Colorectal Cancer Metabolism and Survival: Prevention and Therapeutic Implications, Curr Med Chem. 2018 May 29. doi: 10.2174/0929867325666180530102050.
81. 82. JP Guedes, CS Pereira, LR Rodrigues, M Côrte-Real (2108) Bovine milk lactoferrin selectively kills highly metastatic prostate cancer PC-3 and osteosarcoma MG-63 cells in vitro, Frontiers in Oncology 8: 200, doi: [10.3389/fonc.2018.00200].
80. JMP Rodrigues, CS Pereira, N Fontes, H Gerós, M Côrte-Real (2018) Flow Cytometry and Fluorescence Microscopy as Tools for Structural and Functional Analysis of Vacuoles Isolated from Yeast and Plant Cells, Plant Vacuolar Trafficking, 101-115.
79. A. Rego, K.F. Cooper, J. Snider, Y.A. Hannun, C. Costa, M. Côrte-Real, S.R. Chaves (2018) Acetic acid induces Sch9p-dependent translocation of Isc1p from the endoplasmic reticulum into mitochondria, BBA - Mol Cell Biol of Lipids, pii: S1388-1981(18)30034-9.
78. Cazzanelli G, Pereira F, Alves S, Francisco R, Azevedo L, Carvalho P, Almeida A, Côrte-Real M, Oliveira MJ, Lucas C, Sousa MJ, Preto A (2018) The yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae as a model to understand RAS proteins and their role in human tumorigenesis Cells 2018, 7(2), 14.
77. Carmona-Gutierrez D, Bauer MA, Zimmermann A, Aguilera A, Austriaco N, Ayscough K, Balzan R, Bar-Nun S, Barrientos A, Belenky P, Blondel M, Braun RJ, Breitenbach M, Burhans WC, Büttner S, Cavalieri D, Chang M, Cooper KF, Côrte-Real M, Costa V, Cullin C, Dawes I, Dengjel J, Dickman MB, Eisenberg T, Fahrenkrog B, Fasel N, Fröhlich KU, Gargouri A, Giannattasio S, Goffrini P, Gourlay CW, Grant CM, Greenwood MT, Guaragnella N, Heger T, Heinisch J, Herker E, Herrmann JM, Hofer S, Jiménez-Ruiz A, Jungwirth H, Kainz K, Kontoyiannis DP, Ludovico P, Manon S, Martegani E, Mazzoni C, Megeney LA, Meisinger C, Nielsen J, Nyström T, Osiewacz HD, Outeiro TF, Park HO, Pendl T, Petranovic D, Picot S, Polcic P, Powers T, Ramsdale M, Rinnerthaler M, Rockenfeller P, Ruckenstuhl C, Schaffrath R, Segovia M, Severin FF, Sharon A, Sigrist SJ, Sommer-Ruck C, Sousa MJ, Thevelein JM, Thevissen K, Titorenko V, Toledano MB, Tuite M, Vögtle FN, Westermann B, Winderickx J, Wissing S, Wölfl S, Zhang ZJ, Zhao RY, Zhou B, Galluzzi L, Kroemer G, Madeo F. (2018) Guidelines and recommendations on yeast cell death nomenclature. Microb Cell. 5(1):4-31. doi: 10.15698/mic2018.01.607
76. Guaragnella N, Siirpe M, Burhans W, Côrte-Real M, Gourlay C, Ludovico P, Madeo F, Petranovic D, Winderickx J, Mazzoni C and Giannattasio S (2018) New perspectives from South-Y-East, not all about death. A report of the 12th lnternational Meeting on Yeast Apoptosis in Bari, Italy, May 14th-18th, 2017. Microbial Cell 5 (2) 112.
75. Alves S, Neiri L, Chaves SR, Vieira S, Trindade D, Manon S, Dominguez V, Pintado B, Jonckheere V, Van Damme P, Silva RD, Aldabe R, Côrte-Real M (2018) N-terminal acetylation modulates Bax targeting to mitochondria. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 9;95:35-42. doi: 10.1016/j.biocel.2017.12.004.
74. Ludovico P, Côrte-Real M. Yeast on the corner of life and death decisions Mech Ageing Dev. 2017 Jan;161(Pt B):199-200. doi: 10.1016/j.mad.2017.02.003.
73. Ferro S, Azevedo-Silva J, Casal M, Côrte-Real M, Baltazar F, Preto A. Characterization of acetate transport in colorectal cancer cells and potential therapeutic implications Oncotarget. 2016 Sep 21. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.12156.
72. Trindade D, Pereira C, Chaves SR, Manon S, Côrte-Real M, Sousa MJ (2016) VDAC regulates AAC-mediated apoptosis and cytochrome c release in yeast. Microbial Cell. Vol. 3, No. 10, pp. 369 - 379; DOI: 10.15698/mic2016.10.533
71. Pereira C, Guedes J, Gonçalves M, Loureiro L, Castro L, Gerós H, Rodrigues L, Côrte-Real M (2016) "Lactoferrin selectively triggers apoptosis in highly metastatic breast cancer cells through inhibition of plasmalemmal V-H+-ATPase" Oncotarget DOI: 10.18632/oncotarget.11394
70. Oliveira A, Sárria, Moreira P, Joana Fernandes J, Castro L, Lopes I, Côrte Real M, Cavaco Paulo A, Maria Elisabete Cunha Dias Real Oliveira E, Castro Gomes A (2016) Effect of counter ions and combination of constituents on the toxicity of DODAX: MO nanocarriers in vitro and in vivo Toxicology Research Toxicol. Res., 2016,5, 1244-1255.
69. Simonyan L, Renault TT, da Costa Novais MJ, Sousa MJ, Côrte-Real M, Camougrand N, Gonzalez C, Manon S (2016) Regulation of Bax/mitochondria interaction by AKT.FEBS Lett. 2016 Jan;590(1):13-21. doi: 10.1002/1873-3468.12030. Epub 2015 Dec 30.
68. Acosta-Zaldívar M, Andrés MT, Rego A, Pereira CS, Fierro JF, Côrte-Real M. (2016) Human lactoferrin triggers a mitochondrial- and caspase-dependent regulated cell death in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Apoptosis. 2016 Feb;21(2):163-73. doi: 10.1007/s10495-015-1199-9
67. Alves S, Castro L, Fernandes MS, Francisco R, Castro P, Priault M, Rodrigues Chaves S, Moyer MP, Oliveira C, Seruca R, Côrte-Real M, Sousa MJ, Preto (2015) A Colorectal cancer-related mutant KRAS alleles function as positive regulators of autophagy Oncotarget 13;6(31):30787-802. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.5021
66. Pereira H, Oliveira CSF, Castro L, Preto A, Chaves S R, Côrte-Real M (2015) Yeast as a tool to explore cathepsin D function Microbial Cell Vol. 1, No. 7, 225 - 234
65. Oliveira CSF, Pereira H, Alves S, Castro L, Baltazar F, Chaves SR, Preto A, Côrte-Real M (2015) Cathepsin D protects colorectal cancer cells from acetate-induced apoptosis through autophagy-independent degradation of damaged mitochondria Cell Death Dis. 2015 Jun 18;6:e1788. doi: 10.1038/cddis.2015.157
64. Teixeira V, Medeiros TC, Vilaça R, Pereira AT, Chaves SR, Côrte-Real M, Moradas-Ferreira P, Costa V (2015) Ceramide signalling impinges on Sit4p and Hog1p to promote mitochondrial fission and mitophagy in Isc1p-deficient cells (2015) Cell Signal 27(9):1840-9
63. Vilela A, Amaral C, Schuller D, Mendes-Faia A, Côrte-Real M (2015) Combined use of Wallerstein and Zygosaccharomyces bailii modified differential media to isolate yeasts for the controlled reduction of volatile acidity of grape musts and wines. Journal of Biotech Research 6:43-53
62. Pires E, Teixeira JA, Brányik T, Côrte-Real M, Vicente AA (2014) Maintaining yeast viability in continuous primary beer fermentation. Journal of the Institute of Brewing, 120(1): 52-59
61. Rego A, Duarte A M, Azevedo F, Sousa, M J, Côrte-Real M and S R Chaves (2014) Cell wall dynamics modulate acetic acid-induced apoptotic cell death of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Microbial Cell, Vol. 1, No. 9, pp. 303 - 314
60. Pires E, Teixeira J, Branyik, T, Côrte-Real M, Brandão T, Vicente A (2014) High-gravity primary continuous beer fermentation by flocculated biomass" J. Inst. Brew. 2014; 120: 486–494
59. Yeast programed cell death and aging. Côrte-Real M, Madeo F. Front Oncol. 2013 Nov 18;3:283. doi: 10.3389/fonc.2013.00283.
58. Sousa M, Duarte AM, Fernandes TR, Chaves SR, Pacheco A, Leão C, Côrte-Real M, Sousa MJ. Genome-wide identification of genes involved in the positive and negative regulation of acetic acid-induced programmed cell death in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. BMC Genomics. 2013 Nov 28;14:838. doi: 10.1186/1471-2164-14-838
57. Rego A, Trindade D, Chaves S,Manon S, Costa V, Sousa MJ, Côrte-Real M (2013) The yeast model system as a tool towards the understanding of apoptosis regulation by sphingolipids, FEMS Yeast Research in production DOI: 10.1111/1567-1364.12096.
56. Pacheco A, Azevedo F, Rego A, Santos J, Chaves SR, Côrte-Real M and Sousa MJ C2-phytoceramide perturbs lipid rafts and cell integrity in Saccharomyces cerevisiae in a sterol-dependent manner (2013) PLoS ONE in production (IF 2012: 3.73).
55. Bessa C, Pereira C, Leão M, Maciel C, Gomes S, Gonçalves J, Corte-Real M, Costa V, Saraiva L (2013) Using yeast to uncover the regulation of protein kinase Cd by ceramide FEMS Yeast Research Aug 12. doi: 10.1111/1567-1364.12069. [Epub ahead of print].
54. Rodrigues J, Silva RD, Noronha H, Pedras A, Gerós H, Côrte-Real M (2013) Flow cytometry as a novel tool for structural and functional characterization of isolated yeast vacuoles. Microbiology 159 (Pt 5):848-56.
53. Cunha D., Cunha R.,Côrte-Real M. and Chaves S. R. (2013). Cisplatin-induced cell death in Saccharomyces cerevisiae is programmed and rescued by proteasome inhibition. DNA Repair (Amst). 2013 Jun 1;12(6):444-9.
52. Marques C:, Oliveira C.S. F., Alves S., Chaves S.R., Coutinho OP, Côrte-Real M and Preto A. Acetate-induced apoptosis in colorectal carcinoma cells involves lysosomal membrane permeabilization and cathepsin D release. Cell Death Dis. 2013 Feb 21;4.
51. Vilela A, Schuller D, Mendes-Faia A and Côrte-Real M. Reduction of volatile acidity of acidic wines by immobilized Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells (2013). Appl Microbiol Biotechnol doi 10.1007/s00253-013-4719-y
50. Pereira H., Azevedo F., Rego A., Sousa M.J., Chaves, S.R. and Côrte-Real M. (2013) The protective role of yeast cathepsin D in acetic acid-induced apoptosis depends on ANT (Aac2p) but not on the voltage-dependent channel (Por1p) FEBS Letters 587, 200–205.
49. Rodrigues F, Sousa MJ, Ludovico P, Santos H, Côrte-Real M, Leão C. The fate of acetic acid during glucose co-metabolism by the spoilage yeast Zygosaccharomyces bailii (2012). PLoS ONE 7(12):e52402. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0052402. Epub 2012 Dec 28.
48. Rego A., Costa A.M., Chaves S.R., Pereira H.P., Sousa M.J., Moradas-Ferreira P., Costa V. and Côrte-Real M. (2012) Modulation of mitochondrial outer membrane permeabilization and apoptosis by ceramide metabolism. PLoS ONE 7(11):e48571. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0048571.
47. Barbosa AD, Graça J, Mendes V, Chaves SR, Amorim MA, Mendes MV, Moradas-Ferreira P, Côrte-Real M, Costa V. (2012) “Activation of the Hog1p kinase in Isc1p-deficient yeast cells is associated with mitochondrial dysfunction, oxidative stress sensitivity and premature aging”. Mech Ageing Dev, 133 (2012) 317–330.
46. Silva RD, Saraiva L, Coutinho I, Gonçalves J, Côrte-Real M (2012) Yeast as a powerful model system for the study of apoptosis regulation by protein kinase C isoforms. Curr Pharm Des. 2012;18(17):2492-500.
45. Sousa MJ, Azevedo F, Pedras A, Marques C, Coutinho OP, Preto A, Gerós H2, Chaves SR and Côrte-Real M. (2011) Vacuole-mitochondrial crosstalk during apoptosis in yeast: a model for understanding lysosomal-mitochondrial mediated apoptosis in mammals. Biochemical Society Transactions,39(5):1533-7, (Invited mini-review).
44. Fontes N, Côrte-Real M, and Gerós H. (2011) New observations on the integrity, structure and physiology of flesh cells from fully ripened grape berry. Am. J. Enol. Vitic. 2011, doi: 10.5344 /ajev.2011. 10126.
43. Coutinho I, Pereira C, Pereira G, Gonçalves J, Côrte-Real M, Saraiva L. (2011) Distinct regulation of p53-mediated apoptosis by protein kinase Ca, d, e and z: Evidence in yeast for transcription-dependent and -independent p53 apoptotic mechanisms. Exp Cell Res. 317: 1147-58.
42. Silva RD, Manon S., Gonçalves J., Saraiva L., Côrte-Real M. (2011) The importance of humanized yeast to better understand the role of Bcl-2 family in apoptosis: finding of novel therapeutic opportunities. Curr Pharm Des. 17:246-55.
41. Silva RD, Manon S., Gonçalves J., Saraiva L., Côrte-Real M. (2011) Modulation of Bax mitochondrial insertion and induced cell death in yeast by mammalian protein kinase Calpha. Exp Cell Res. 1:781-90.
40. Vilela-Moura, A., Schuller, D., Mendes-Faia, A., Silva, R.D., Chaves, S.R., Sousa, M.J. and Côrte-Real, M. (2011) The impact of acetate metabolism on yeast fermentative performance and wine quality: reduction of volatile acidity of grape musts and wines Appl Microbiol and Biotechnol, 89:271-80.
39. Vilela-Moura, A., Schuller, D., Mendes-Faia, A., Côrte-Real, M. (2010) Effects of acetic acid, ethanol and SO2 on the removal of volatile acidity from acidic wines by two Saccharomyces cerevisiae commercial strains. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 87:1317-26.
38. A. Vilela-Moura, D. Schuller, V. Falco, A. Mendes-Faia and M. Côrte-Real (2010) Effect of refermentation conditions and micro-oxygenation on the reduction of volatile acidity by commercial Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains and their impact on the aromatic profile of wines Int J Food Microbiol 141:165-72.
37. Pereira C, Chaves S, Alves S, Salin B, Camougrand N, Manon S, Sousa M J and Côrte-Real M (2010) Mitochondrial degradation in acetic acid-induced yeast apoptosis: the role of Pep4 and the ADP/ATP carrier. 76(6):1398-410.
36. Coutinho I, Pereira G, Leão M, Gonçalves J, Côrte-Real M,, Saraiva L. (2009). Differential regulation of p53 function by protein kinase C isoforms revealed by a yeast cell system. FEBS Letters 583 (2009) 3582–3588.
35. Coutinho I, Pereira G, Simões MF, Côrte-Real M, Gonçalves J, Saraiva L (2009) Selective activation of protein kinase C-delta and -epsilon by 6,11,12,14-tetrahydroxy-abieta-5,8,11,13-tetraene-7-one (coleon U).Biochem Pharmacol. 78:449-59.
34. Vilela-Moura A, Schuller D, Mendes-Faia A, Côrte-Real M (2008) Reduction of volatile acidity of wines by selected yeast strains. Appl Mic Biotechnol 80:881-890.
33. Pereira C, Silva RD, Saraiva L, Johansson B, Sousa MJ, Côrte-Real M (2008) Mitochondriadependent apoptosis in yeast. BBA - Molecular Cell Research, Special Issue: Apoptosis in Yeast,1783:1286-1302.
32. Almeida T, Marques M, Mojzita D, Amorim MA, Silva RD, Almeida B, Rodrigues P, Ludovico P,Hohmann S, Moradas-Ferreira P, Côrte-Real M, Costa V. (2008) Isc1p plays a key role inhydrogen peroxide resistance and chronological lifespan through modulation of iron levels andapoptosis. Mol Biol Cell. 19:865-876.
31. Pereira C, Camougrand N, Manon S, Sousa MJ, Côrte-Real M. (2007) ADP/ATP carrier is required for mitochondrial outer membrane permeabilization and cytochrome c release in yeast apoptosis. Mol Microbiol 66, 571-82. Commented at Molecular Microbiology, MicroCommentaryby Lawen A. Another piece of the puzzle of apoptotic cytochrome c release, 66(3):553-6.
30. Guaragnella N, Pereira C, Sousa MJ, Antonacci L, Passarella S, Côrte-Real M, Marra E, Giannattasio S. (2006) YCA1 participates in the acetic acid induced yeast programmed cell death also in a manner unrelated to its caspase-like activity. FEBS Lett. 580(30): 6880-4.
29. Gabriela R, Côrte-Real M and Björn J(2006) Characterization of DNA damage in yeast apoptosis induced by hydrogen peroxide, acetic acid, and hyperosmotic shock. Mol. Biol. Cell 17(10): 4584-4591. 2006.
28. Saraiva L, Silva Rui, Pereira G, Gonçalves J, Côrte-Real M (2006). Specific modulation of apoptosis and Bcl-xL phosphorylation in yeast by distinct mammalian protein kinase C isoforms. J. Cell Science 119, 3171-3181.
27. Giannattasio, S., Guaragnella, N., Côrte-Real, M., Passarella, S. & Marra, E. 2005 “Acid stress adaptation protects Saccharomyces cerevisiae from acetic acid-induced programmed cell death” Gene, 354: 93-98.
26. Côrte-Real, M. (2004) The Second International Meeting on Yeast Apoptosis (IMYA 2), Smolenice, Slovak Republic, 17–20 September 2003. FEMS Yeast Research, 4(8): 887-888.
25. Wissing, S., Ludovico, P., Herker, E., Buttner, S., Engelhardt, S.M., Decker, T., Link, A., Proksch, A., Rodrigues, F., Côrte-Real, M., Frohlich, K.U., Manns, J., Cande, C., Sigrist, S.J., Kroemer, G. & Madeo, F. (2004) An AIF orthologue regulates apoptosis in yeast. Journal of Cell Biology, 166(7): 969-974.
24. Rodrigues, F., Zeeman, A.-M., Cardoso, H., Sousa, M. J., Steensma, H. Y., Côrte-Real, M. and Leão, C. (2004) “Isolation of acetyl-CoA synthetase gene (ZbACS2) from Zygosaccharomyces bailii”. Yeast, 21(4): 325-331.
23. Ludovico, P., Sansonetty, F., Silva, M. T. and Côrte-Real, M. (2003) “Acetic acid induces a programmed cell death in the food spoilage yeast Zygosaccharomyces bailii” Yeast FEMS Research, 1522: 1-6
22. Veiga, A., Arrabaça, J., Sansonetty, F., Ludovico, P., Côrte-Real, M. and Loureiro-Dias, C. (2003) "Energy conversion coupled to cyanide-resistant respiration in the yeasts Pichia membranifaciens and Debaryomyces hansenii" Yeast FEMS Research, 1529: 1-8.
21. Rodrigues, F., Ludovico, P., Sousa, M. J., Steensma, Y., Côrte-Real, M. and Leão, C. (2002) "The spoilage yeast Zygosaccharomyces bailii forms mitotic spores: A screening method for haploidization" Appl Environ. Microbiol., 69: 649-653.
20. Ludovico, P., Rodrigues, F., Almeida, A., Silva, M. T, Barrientos, A. and Côrte-Real, M. (2002) "Cytochrome c release and mitochondria involvement in programmed cell death induced by acetic acid in Saccharomyces cerevisiae" Molecular Biology Cell, 13: 2598/2606.
19. Ludovico, P., Sansonetty, F. and Côrte-Real, M. (2001) “Assessment of mitochondrial membrane potential in yeast cell populations by flow cytometry” Microbiology, 147:3335-3343.
18. Ludovico, P., Sousa, M. J., Silva, M.T., Leão, C. and Côrte-Real, M. (2001). “Saccharomyces cerevisiae commits to a programmed cell death process in response to acetic acid” Microbiology 147:2409-2415. Commented at Microbiology Today from Society for General Microbiology, “Hot of the Press”, volume 28 November, 2001.
17. Merico, A., Rodrigues, F., Côrte-Real, M., Porro, D., Ranzi, B. M. and Compagno, C. (2001) "Isolation and sequence analysis of the gene enconding triose phosphate isomerase from Zygosaccharomyces bailii" YEAST 18(9):775-80.
16. Rodrigues, F., Hemert, M., Steensma, H. Y., Côrte-Real, M. and Leão, C. (2001) “Red fluorescent protein (DsRed) as a reporter in Saccharomyces cerevisiae” J. Bacteriol. 183, 3791-3794.
15. Rodrigues, F., Zeeman, A. M., Alves, C., Sousa, M. J., Steensma, H. Y., Côrte-Real, M. and Leão, C. (2001) "Construction of a genomic library of the food spoilage yeast Zygosaccharomyces bailii and isolation of the ß-isopropylmalate dehydrogenase gene (ZbLEU2)" FEMS Yeast Research 1, 67-71.
14. Rodrigues, F., Côrte-Real, M., Leão, C., van Dijken, J. P. and Pronk, J. T. (2001) "Oxygen requirements of the food spoilage yeast Zygosaccharomyces bailii in synthetic and complex media" Appl. Env. Microbiol. 67(5), 2123-2128.
13. Schuller, D., Côrte-Real, M. and Leão, C. (2000) "Evaluation of a differential/selective medium for the enumeration of the wine spoilage yeast Zygosaccharomyces bailii" J. Food Prot. 63 (11), 1570-1575.
12. Prudêncio, C., Sansonetty, F., Sousa, M. J., Côrte-Real, M. and Leão, C. (2000) “Rapid detection of efflux pumps and their relation with drug resistance in yeast cells” Cytometry 39, 26-35.
11. Fernandes, L., Côrte-Real, M. and Leão, C. (1999) "A peculiar behaviour for cell death induced by weak carboxylic acids in the wine spoilage yeast Zygosaccharomyces bailii" Letters in Appl. Microbiol. 28, 345-349.
10. Prudêncio, C., Sansonetty, F. and Côrte-Real, M. (1998) "Flow cytometric assessment of cell structural and functional changes induced by acetic acid in the yeasts Zygosaccharomyces bailii and Saccharomyces cerevisiae" Cytometry, 31, 1-7.
9. Sousa, M. J., Rodrigues, F., Côrte-Real, M. and Leão, C. (1998) "Mechanisms underlying the transport and intracellular metabolism of acetic acid in the presence of glucose by the yeast Zygosaccharomyces bailii” Microbiol. 144, 665-670.
8. Fernandes, L., Côrte-Real, M., Loureiro, V., Loureiro-Dias, M. C. and Leão, C. (1997) "Glucose respiration and fermentation in Zygosaccharomyces bailii and Saccharomyces cerevisiae express different sensitivity patterns to ethanol and acetic acid" Lett. Appl. Microbiol., 25, 249-253.
7. Amador, P., Borges, F. and Côrte-Real, M. (1996) “Biochemical characterization of a mutant of the yeast Pichia anomala derepressed for malic acid utilization in the presence of glucose” FEMS Microbiol. Letters, 141, 227-231.
6. Sousa, M. J., Miranda, L., Côrte-real, M. and Leão, C. (1996) “Transport of acetic acid in Zygosaccharomyces bailii: effects of ethanol and their implications on the resistance of the yeast to acid environments“ Appl. and Environ. Microbiol. 62, 3152-3157.
5. Cássio F., Côrte-Real, M. and Leão, C. (1993) “Quantitative analysis of proton movements associated to the uptake rate of weak carboxylic acids". The yeast Candida utilis as a biological model” Biochem. Biophys. Acta, 1153, 59-66.
4. Côrte-Real, M. and Leão C. (1992) “Deacidification of grape must with derrepressed mutants of the wine yeast Hansenula anomala” Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol, 36: 663-666.
3. Côrte-Real, M., Leão, C. and van Uden, N. (1990) “Inverse diauxy in the yeast Hansenula anomala: mutants derepressed for malic acid utilization in the presence of glucose” Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 56: 3402-3404.
2. Côrte-Real, M. and Leão, C. (1990) “Transport of malic acid and other dicarboxylic acids in the yeast Hansenula anomala” Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 56: 1109-1113.
1. Côrte-Real, M., Leão, C. and van Uden, N. (1989) “Transport of L(-) malic acid and other dicarboxylic acids in the yeast Candida sphaerica” Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 31: 551-553.
Artigos em revistas nacionais com arbitragem científica
5. Vilela A, Schuller D, Mendes-Faia A, Côrte-Real M (2012) Redução da acidez volátil de vinhos por células de Saccharomyces cerevisiae imobilizadas em esferas de alginato-quitosano Enologia, Out-Nov-Dez:38-42.
4. Vilela A, Schuller D, Mendes-Faia A, Côrte-Real M (2010) Desacidificação Zimológica de ácido acético de mostos e vinhos) Enologia, Jul-Ago-Set:39-41.
3. Côrte-Real, M., Sansonetty, F., Ludovico, P., Prudêncio, C., Rodrigues, F., Fortuna, M., Sousa, M. J., Silva, M.T. e Leão, C. (2002) "Contributos da citologia analítica para estudos de biologia de leveduras" Boletim de Biotecnologia, 71, 19-33.
2. Prudêncio, C., Sansonetty, F. e Côrte-Real, M. (2000) "Avaliação por citometria de fluxo.de alterações estruturais e funcionais induzidas pelo ácido acético em leveduras", artigo 1, Boletim da Sociedade Portuguesa de Microbiologia.
1. Leão, C., Rodrigues, F., Paiva, S., Queirós, O., Schuller, D., Cássio, F., Cardoso, H., Sousa, M. J., Casal, M. e Côrte-Real, M. (2000) "Remoção zimológica da acidez volátil e fixa de mostos e vinhos: da fisiologia à manipulação genética de leveduras" Boletim de Biotecnologia, 66, 7-13.
Publicações em actas de encontros científicos
12. Almeida, T., Marques, M., Mojzita, D., Osorio, H., Rodrigues, P., Amorim, M. A., Ludovico, P., Hohmann, S., Moradas-Ferreira, P., Corte-Real, M., Costa, V (2006). “Role of Isc1p in oxidative stress resistance and ageing in yeast” CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS OF LIPIDS Volume: 143 Issue: 1-2 Pages: 83-84 Published: SEP.
11. Silva R., Sotoca, R Ludovico P, Sansonetty F, Peinado J, Côrte-Real M. (2004) “Saccharomyces cerevisiae commits to programmed cell death in response to hyperosmotic stress caused by glucose” CYTOMETRY PART A 59A: 128-128 MAY.
10. Almeida T, Marques M, Amorim MA, Ludovico P, Moradas-Ferreira P, Côrte-Real M. and Costa VF (2003). “Sphingolipid signalling in stress resistance and chronological life-span in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: the role of Isc1p” YEAST 20: S196-S196 Suppl. 1 JUL.
9. Ludovico PC, Rodrigues FJ, Almeida AJ, Silva MT., Barrientos A, Leão C and Côrte-Real M. (2002) “Involvement of mitochondria in the programmed cell death process induced by acetic acid in Saccharomyces cerevisiae” CYTOMETRY: 39-39 Suppl. 11.
8. Ludovico, P., Sousa, M. J., Silva, M. T., Leão, C. and Côrte-Real, M. (2001). “Programmed cell death in Saccharomyces cerevisiae induced by acetic acid” Yeast 18 (S1), pp. S354.
7. Ludovico, P., Salvador, A., Sansonetty, F., Ferreira, J., Côrte-Real, M. and Leão, C. (2000) "FCM measurements of changes in mitochondrial membrane potential in the yeasts Zygosaccharomyces bailii and Saccharomyces cerevisiae induced by acetic acid using Rh123 and propidium iodide" Cytometry, supplement 10, 100.
6. Prudêncio, C., Sansonetty, F., Sousa, M. J., Côrte-Real, M. and Leão, C. (2000) "FCM functional assay of multiple resistance of the yeast Debaryomyces hansenii to fluconazole, 5-fluorocytosine and amphotericin B. Evaluation of its reversion" Cytometry, supplement 10, 104.
5. Prudêncio, C., Sansonetty, F., Sousa, M. J., Côrte-Real, M. and Leão C. (1999) “Development of epifluorescense and flow cytometric methods for the detection of active efflux pumps in yeast” Folia Microbiologica 44:219.
4. Prudêncio, C., Sansonetty, F., Sousa, M. J. and Côrte-Real, M. (1998) “Evaluation of the specificity of yeast multidrug pumps for penconazol, benomyl and cycloheximide by flow cytometry” Cytometry, supplement 9:153.
3. Prudêncio, C., Sansonetty, F., Côrte-Real, M. and Leão, C. (1998) “Screening of multidrug pumps in yeasts” Cytometry, supplement 9:153.
2. Amador, P., Borges, F., Côrte-Real, M. and Leão, C. (1994) “Regulation of glucose and malic acid consumption by a derepressed mutant of the yeast Pichia anomala” Folia Microbiologica, 39/6:506.
1. Miranda, L., Sousa, M. J., Côrte-Real, M. and Leão, C. (1994) “Transport of acetic acid and other weak organic acids in the yeast Zygosaccharomyces bailii” Folia Microbiologica, 39/6:515.
• Leão, C., Côrte-Real, M., Schuller, D. “Culture medium for detection of Zygosaccharomyces”. Patente International nº PCT/PT00/00004.
• Schuller, D., Côrte-Real, M. and Leão, C. (1999) "Meio de cultura para a detecção das leveduras Zygosaccharomyces bailii e Zygosaccharomyces bisporus" Instituto Nacional da Propriedade Intelectual (INPI), patent 12480V.
PUBLICAÇÕES INTERNAS CIENTÍFICO-PEDAGÓGICAS
Protocolos Laboratoriais. Textos publicados internamente, a nível de Departamento e distribuídos aos alunos como guias para as respectivas aulas práticas, que tem decorrido sob a sua responsabilidade.