Phone Number : +351 253 601511
Research Area : Bio-Inspired Systems
Position : Integrated members
Group Leader (2014-now) of CBMA. Assistant Professor at the Department of Biology of School of Sciences since 2007. Director of the C2 in Biophysics and Bionanosystems since 2018. Member of the Course Commission of PhD Programme on Molecular and Environmental Biology, at U.Minho (2016-now).
AG is involved in various ongoing projects that are developing nanotechnologies that will allow, in the future, at different levels, the molecular manipulation of cells’ phenotype in vitro and in vivo, by modulating gene expression and/or directly affecting cell survival. This implies a strong investment in collaborations with experts of other scientific areas, in particular biophysics. The aim is to develop creative, multidisciplinary strategies that could have a relevant impact in health, from normal development to abnormal processes (e.g. chronic inflammation, leukemia). A special interest in signaling pathways important in development and inflammation-related mechanisms, also important in ageing-related processes, translates into different projects studying natural extracts and compounds that might affect such pathways and the development of delivery and targeting approaches to maximize their effect. In recent years, AG has implemented in CBMA a wide range of assays for toxicity assessment of nanocarriers and biomaterials, including a small facility for zebrafish embryotoxicity tests.
- FUN2CYT – Harnessing the potential for biomedical applications of pleiotropic cytokines LIF and oncostatin M, funded by Programa Operacional Competitividade e
Internacionalização, POCI-01-0145-FEDER-030568 (July 2018- June 2021) PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR
- EcoAgriFood: Innovative Green Products and Processes to Promote Agri-Food
Bioeconomy. Leader of WP2: Environmental and human risks of new products and
processes for the agri-food sector. NORTE-01-0145-FEDER-000009 (2016-2019) TASK LEADER
- Biomimetic microenvironment for the study and development of targeted therapies in
hematological malignancies, PTDC/EMD-EMD/28159/2017 (1 July 2018-30 June 2021) TEAM MEMBER
- Development of advanced strategies and solutions for muscle tissue engineering based on electromechanical microenvironments, PTDC/BTM-MAT/28237/2017 (1 July 2018-30 June 2021) TEAM MEMBER
- VALEU: Towards the valorization of eucalyptus waste using Pseudomonas-based
biocatalysts, PTDC/EAM-AMB/30488/2017 (1 July 2018-30 June 2021) TEAM MEMBER
- ECOBiB – Eco- Innovative Bag in Box Solutions, código da operação: POCI-01-0247- FEDER-033997, financed by Fundo Europeu de Desenvolvimento Regional (FEDER), do Programa Operacional Competitividade e Internacionalização (POCI) and Portugal 2020 (September 2018- August 2021) TEAM MEMBER
- FunBioPlas: Novel synthetic biocomposites for biomedical devices. ERA-IB-15-089
(October 2016 – November 2019) TEAM MEMBER
- DermoID-Nucleo de Investigaçao e Desenvolvimentos em Dermocosmeticos, nr 021931, financed by Programa Operacional Regional do Norte, Núcleos de I&D em Co-Promoçao, ref. 09/SI/2016 – 21931. (1st September 2016 – 31st August 2019) PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR
- Researcher in bilateral project (Portugal-Germany) FCT/DAAD: "Hybrid nanocarriers for combined gene and chemotherapy”, in collaboration with Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces (MPI) (December 2015 - November 2016). TEAM MEMBER
- ACROSS-Development of AntimiCRObial Spider Silk sutures for preventing surgical site infections (PTDC/BBB-BIO/0827/2012), June 2013-May 2015, TEAM MEMBER
- MultiNanoMed - NANOPLATAFORMAS MULTIFUNCIONAIS PARA O TRATAMENTO
ONCOLÓGICO, QREN – Quadro de Referência Estratégico Nacional através do SISTEMA DE INCENTIVOS À INVESTIGAÇÃO & DESENVOLVIMENTO TECNOLÓGICO (SI I&DT) referencia 23240. (October 2012 – June 2015) PI at UMINHO
- Project DoIT (módulo MyHair) - Desenvolvimento e Operacionalização da Investigação de Translação (project nr 13853), financed by FEDER through POFC, Sept 2011 – Sept 2014, TEAM MEMBER.
- NANOFOL - Folate-based nanobiodevices for integrated diagnosis/therapy targeting
chronic inflammatory diseases (EU-funded project FP7-NMP-2008-LARGE-2, CP-IP
228827-2 NANOFOL), Dec 2009 – Dec 2013, TEAM MEMBER
- NaturAge - Anti-aging properties of natural compounds (FCT funding, PTDC/QUIBIQ/101392/2008), May 2010 – October 2013, TASK LEADER
- Chimera - Development of new chimeric proteins to be used in the fabrication of a novel biomaterial for bone
regeneration application (FCT funding, PTDC/EBB-EBI/109093/2008), 2010-2013, TEAM MEMBER
- “Desenvolvimento de um vector lipossomal optimizado siRNA/DODAB:MO (+PEG, +FOL) para a complexação, transporte e libertação direccionada de siRNA em células leucémicas” (QREN funding, Vale I&DT n.º 2011/18891), 2012, TASK LEADER.
- MONOLIPO - MONOOLEIN-BASED LIPOPLEXES: PHYSICOCHEMICAL
CHARACTERIZATION AND STUDY OF THEIR POTENTIAL AS NON-VIRAL VECTORS (FCT funding, PTDC/QUI/69795/2006), Jan 2009 - June 2012, TEAM MEMBER.
(5) Supervisor of PhD student Anabela Ferreira Gonçalves, enrolled in year 1 of Doctoral
Program on Molecular and Environmental Biology (Univ. Minho). Anabela is a recipient of a
FCT scholarship for developing biotechnological strategies of using oncostatin M to
modulate inflammation. (SFRH/BD/146807/2019)
(4) Supervisor of PhD student Mário Ismael Cardoso Fernandes, enrolled in year 1 of
Doctoral Programme on Marine Science, Technology and Management - Do*Mar (Univ.
Minho). Mário is a recipient of a scholarship from this doctoral programme to study green
synthesis of nanoparticles in macroalgae extracts for the treatment of neurodegenerative
(3) Co-supervisor of PhD student Ivo Edgar Araújo Lopes, enrolled in year 2 of C3 in Biology
(Univ. Açores). Ivo is a recipient of a FRCT (Fundo Regional de Ciência e Tecnologia)
scholarship for the development of novel nanotechnology-based thrombolitic therapies.
(2) Co-supervisor of PhD student Sylvie Ribeiro, enrolled in year 3 of C3 in Materials
Engineering (Univ. Minho). Sylvie is a recipient of a FCT scholarship for the development of
piezoelectric materials for tissue engineering. (SFRH/BD/111478/2015)
(1) Co-supervisor of PhD student Isabel Oliveira, enrolled in year 3 of C3 in Chemistry (Univ.
Porto). Isabel is a recipient of a FCT scholarship and her research topic is the development
of aminoacid-derived surfactants for biomedical applications. (SFRH/BD/108629/2015)
PROJECT SCHOLARSHIP (total 2):
(2) Supervisor of Vítor Martins and Vanessa Pinho (Fevereiro 2020- ), in project FUN2CYT:
Harnessing the potential for biomedical applications of pleiotropic cytokines LIF and
oncostatin M, reference PTDC/BTM-MAT/30568/2017 (POCI-01-0145-FEDER-030568)
financed by Programa Operacional Competitividade e Internacionalização sua componente
FEDER and Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, I.P. (FCT, IP).
MASTER STUDENTS (total 7):
(7) Supervisor of Master student Telma Sofia Mendes Ferreira, C2 in Applied Biochemistry,
thesis title " Development of nanocarriers for Alzheimer’s disease treatment”.
(6) Supervisor of Master student Vanessa Tatiana Pinho, C2 in Applied Biochemistry, thesis
title "Development of liposomal vectors for effective delivery of pleiotropic recombinant
leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF) cytokine".
(5) Co-supervisor of Master student Helena Catarina da Silva Ribeiro, C2 in Biophysics and
Bionanosystems, thesis title "Biophotonics as a new approach for cancer therapy: how UV
light impacts cancer cell proteome and behavior".
(4) Co-supervisor of Master student Ana Sofia Pontes Castanheiro, C2 in Biophysics and
Bionanosystems, thesis title "Bioaccumulation and toxicology of nanomaterials used by the
plastic industry in marine mussels".
(3) Supervisor of Master student Ana Sofia Mendes Ferreira, C2 in Molecular Genetics,
thesis title "Eucalyptus nitens antitumoral activities: a biochemical approach to assess the
redox cellular state on tumor and non-tumor breast cells".
(2) Supervisor of Master student Ana Catarina Sousa Gonçalves, C2 in Molecular Genetics,
thesis title "Biological activity study of Cynara cardunculus leaves extracts: in vitro cell
(1) Co-supervisor of Master student José Passos, C2 in Plant Molecular Biology,
Biotechnology and Bioentrepreneurship (M3BP), with thesis title ” Avaliação da atividade
anti-inflamatória e neuroprotetora de plantas medicinais”.
Unraveling the Safety Profile of Nanoscale Particles and Materials - From Biomedical to Environmental Applications. Edited by Andreia C. Gomes and Marisa P. Sarria, ISBN 978- 953-51-3940-9, Print ISBN 978-953-51-3939-3, 172 pages, Publisher: InTech, Chapters published March 21, 2018 under CC BY 3.0 license. DOI: 10.5772/65837
“Mechanisms of Action of Curcumin on Aging: Nutritional and Pharmacological
Applications”. Carvalho AC, Gomes AC, Pereira-Wilson C, Lima CF. Molecular Basis of Nutrition and Aging 2016. 35: 491-511. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-801816- 3.00035-2
"Development of Dioctadecyldimethylammonium Bromide/Monoolein Liposomes for Gene Delivery". Neves Silva JP, Oliveira ACN, Gomes AC and Real Oliveira MECD. Sivakumar Gowder (Ed.) "Cell Interaction", ISBN 980-953-307-341-0
PAPERS IN INTERNATIONAL JOURNALS WITH PEER REVIEW
(92) "Surface charge mediated cell-surface interaction on piezoelectric materials”. Ribeiro S,
Puckert C, Ribeiro C, Gomes AC, Higgins MJ, Lanceros-Méndez S. ACS Appl Mater
Interfaces. 2019 Dec 24. doi: 10.1021/acsami.9b17222.
(91) "Leukemia inhibitory factor: recent advances and implications in biotechnology”. Pinho
V, Fernandes M, da Costa A, Machado R, Gomes AC. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2019
Nov 27. pii: S1359-6101(19)30114-5. doi: 10.1016/j.cytogfr.2019.11.005.
(90) "Fusion proteins with chromogenic and keratin binding modules”. Tinoco A, Antunes E,
Martins M, Gonçalves F, Gomes AC, Silva C, Cavaco-Paulo A, Ribeiro A. Sci Rep. 2019 Oct
1;9(1):14044. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-50283-0.
(89) "Ionic liquid based polymer electroactive composites for muscle tissue engineering
applications”. Meira RM, Correia DM, Ribeiro S, Costa P, Gomes AC, Gama FM, Ribeiro C,
Lanceros-Méndez S. ACS Applied Polymer Materials 2019 August 30; 1(10), 2649-2658.
(88) “Photocatalytic performance of N-doped TiO2nano-SiO2-HY nanocomposites
immobilized over cotton fabrics”. Landi Jr S, Carneiro J, Soares OSGP, Pereira MFR,
Gomes AC, Ribeiro A, Fonseca AM, Parpot P, Neves IC. Journal of Materials Research and
Technology 2019 April; 8 (2), 1933-1943. doi: 10.1016/j.jmrt.2018.06.025
(87) “BSA/ASN/Pol407 nanoparticles for acute lymphoblastic leukemia treatment”. Tinoco A,
Sárria MP, Loureiro A, Parpot P, Espiña B, Gomes AC, Cavaco-Paulo A, Ribeiro A.
Biochemical Engineering Journal 2019 Jan 15; 141, 80-88. doi:10.1016/j.bej.2018.10.006
(86) “Exosome-like Nanoparticles: A New Type of Nanocarrier”. Fernandes M, Lopes I,
Teixeira J, Botelho C, Gomes AC. Curr Med Chem. 2019 Jan 29.
(85) “Lipid-based Nanocarriers for siRNA Delivery: Challenges, Strategies and the Lessons
Learned from the DODAX: MO Liposomal System”. Oliveira ACN, Fernandes J, Gonçalves
A, Gomes AC*, Real Oliveira MECD*. Curr Drug Targets. 2019; 20(1):29-50.
(84) “Production of bioactive hepcidin by recombinant DNA tagging with an elastin-like
recombinamer”. da Costa A, Pereira AM, Gomes AC, Rodriguez-Cabello JC, Casal M,
Machado R. New Biotechnol. 2018 Nov 25;46:45-53. doi: 10.1016/j.nbt.2018.07.001.