Phone Number : +351 253 601511
Researcher ID : B-5905-2009
Researchgate : https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andreia_Gomes6
Research Area : Bio-Inspired Systems
Position : Integrated members
Group Leader (2014-now) of CBMA. Assistant Professor at the Department of Biology of School of Sciences since 2007. Director of the C2 in Biophysics and Bionanosystems since 2018. Member of the Course Commission of PhD Programme on Molecular and Environmental Biology, at U.Minho (2016-now).
AG is involved in various ongoing projects that are developing nanotechnologies that will allow, in the future, at different levels, the molecular manipulation of cells’ phenotype in vitro and in vivo, by modulating gene expression and/or directly affecting cell survival. This implies a strong investment in collaborations with experts of other scientific areas, in particular biophysics. The aim is to develop creative, multidisciplinary strategies that could have a relevant impact in health, from normal development to abnormal processes (e.g. chronic inflammation, leukemia). A special interest in signaling pathways important in development and inflammation-related mechanisms, also important in ageing-related processes, translates into different projects studying natural extracts and compounds that might affect such pathways and the development of delivery and targeting approaches to maximize their effect. In recent years, AG has implemented in CBMA a wide range of assays for toxicity assessment of nanocarriers and biomaterials, including a small facility for zebrafish embryotoxicity tests.
- FUN2CYT – Harnessing the potential for biomedical applications of pleiotropic cytokines LIF and oncostatin M, funded by Programa Operacional Competitividade e
Internacionalização, POCI-01-0145-FEDER-030568 (July 2018- June 2021) PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR
- DermoID-Nucleo de Investigaçao e Desenvolvimentos em Dermocosmeticos, nr 021931, financed by Programa Operacional Regional do Norte, Núcleos de I&D em Co-Promoçao, ref. 09/SI/2016 – 21931. (1st September 2016 – 31st August 2019) PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR
- EcoAgriFood: Innovative Green Products and Processes to Promote Agri-Food
Bioeconomy. Leader of WP2: Environmental and human risks of new products and
processes for the agri-food sector. NORTE-01-0145-FEDER-000009 (2016-2019) TASK LEADER
- Biomimetic microenvironment for the study and development of targeted therapies in
hematological malignancies, PTDC/EMD-EMD/28159/2017 (1 July 2018-30 June 2021) TEAM MEMBER
- Development of advanced strategies and solutions for muscle tissue engineering based on electromechanical microenvironments, PTDC/BTM-MAT/28237/2017 (1 July 2018-30 June 2021) TEAM MEMBER
- VALEU: Towards the valorization of eucalyptus waste using Pseudomonas-based
biocatalysts, PTDC/EAM-AMB/30488/2017 (1 July 2018-30 June 2021) TEAM MEMBER
- ECOBiB – Eco- Innovative Bag in Box Solutions, código da operação: POCI-01-0247- FEDER-033997, financed by Fundo Europeu de Desenvolvimento Regional (FEDER), do Programa Operacional Competitividade e Internacionalização (POCI) and Portugal 2020 (September 2018- August 2021) TEAM MEMBER
- FunBioPlas: Novel synthetic biocomposites for biomedical devices. ERA-IB-15-089
(October 2016 – November 2019) TEAM MEMBER
- Researcher in bilateral project (Portugal-Germany) FCT/DAAD: "Hybrid nanocarriers for combined gene and chemotherapy”, in collaboration with Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces (MPI) (December 2015 - November 2016). TEAM MEMBER
- ACROSS-Development of AntimiCRObial Spider Silk sutures for preventing surgical site infections (PTDC/BBB-BIO/0827/2012), June 2013-May 2015, TEAM MEMBER
- MultiNanoMed - NANOPLATAFORMAS MULTIFUNCIONAIS PARA O TRATAMENTO
ONCOLÓGICO, QREN – Quadro de Referência Estratégico Nacional através do SISTEMA DE INCENTIVOS À INVESTIGAÇÃO & DESENVOLVIMENTO TECNOLÓGICO (SI I&DT) referencia 23240. (October 2012 – June 2015) PI at UMINHO
- Project DoIT (módulo MyHair) - Desenvolvimento e Operacionalização da Investigação de Translação (project nr 13853), financed by FEDER through POFC, Sept 2011 – Sept 2014, TEAM MEMBER.
- NANOFOL - Folate-based nanobiodevices for integrated diagnosis/therapy targeting
chronic inflammatory diseases (EU-funded project FP7-NMP-2008-LARGE-2, CP-IP
228827-2 NANOFOL), Dec 2009 – Dec 2013, TEAM MEMBER
- NaturAge - Anti-aging properties of natural compounds (FCT funding, PTDC/QUIBIQ/101392/2008), May 2010 – October 2013, TASK LEADER
- Chimera - Development of new chimeric proteins to be used in the fabrication of a novel biomaterial for bone
regeneration application (FCT funding, PTDC/EBB-EBI/109093/2008), 2010-2013, TEAM MEMBER
- “Desenvolvimento de um vector lipossomal optimizado siRNA/DODAB:MO (+PEG, +FOL) para a complexação, transporte e libertação direccionada de siRNA em células leucémicas” (QREN funding, Vale I&DT n.º 2011/18891), 2012, TASK LEADER.
- MONOLIPO - MONOOLEIN-BASED LIPOPLEXES: PHYSICOCHEMICAL
CHARACTERIZATION AND STUDY OF THEIR POTENTIAL AS NON-VIRAL VECTORS (FCT funding, PTDC/QUI/69795/2006), Jan 2009 - June 2012, TEAM MEMBER.
PHD STUDENTS (total 3):
(3) Co-supervisor of PhD student Ivo Edgar Araújo Lopes, enrolled in year 2 of C3 in Biology (Univ. Açores). Ivo is a recipient of a FRCT (Fundo Regional de Ciência e Tecnologia) scholarship for the development of novel nanotechnology-based thrombolitic therapies. (M3.1.a/F/128/2015)
(2) Co-supervisor of PhD student Sylvie Ribeiro, enrolled in year 3 of C3 in Materials
Engineering (Univ. Minho). Sylvie is a recipient of a FCT scholarship for the development of piezoelectric materials for tissue engineering. (SFRH/BD/111478/2015)
(1) Co-supervisor of PhD student Isabel Oliveira, enrolled in year 3 of C3 in Chemistry (Univ. Porto). Isabel is a recipient of a FCT scholarship and her research topic is the development of aminoacid-derived surfactants for biomedical applications. (SFRH/BD/108629/2015)
PROJECT SCHOLARSHIP (total 1):
(1) Supervisor of MSc Anabela Ferreira Gonçalves (August 2017-May 2019), in project
DermoID-Nucleo de Investigaçao e Desenvolvimentos em Dermocosmeticos, nr 021931, financed by Programa Operacional Regional do Norte, Núcleos de I&D em Co-Promoçao, ref. 09/SI/2016 – 21931.
MASTER STUDENTS (total 9):
(9) Co-supervisor of Master student Karenina Santos, C2 in Biochemistry (Univ. Porto), thesis title "Lipossomas catanionicos – caracterização estrutural, avaliação toxicológica e estudos de encapsulação de biomoléculas".
(8) Supervisor of Master student Vanessa Tatiana Pinho, C2 in Applied Biochemistry, thesis title "Development of liposomal vectors for effective delivery of pleiotropic recombinant leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF) cytokine".
(7) Supervisor of Master student Sofia Daniela Silva Machado, C2 in Plant Molecular
Biology, Biotechnology and Bioentrepreneurship (M3BP), thesis title "Green synthesis of bioactive nanoparticles led by algae from North Portugal and Galiza".
(6) Co-supervisor of Master student Helena Catarina da Silva Ribeiro, C2 in Biophysics and Bionanosystems, thesis title "Biophotonics as a new approach for cancer therapy: how UV light impacts cancer cell proteome and behavior".
(5) Co-supervisor of Master student Ana Sofia Pontes Castanheiro, C2 in Biophysics and Bionanosystems, thesis title "Bioaccumulation and toxicology of nanomaterials used by the plastic industry in marine mussels".
(4) Co-supervisor of Master student Pedro Alexandre Gonçalves Faria, C2 in Biophysics and Bionanosystems, thesis title "Desenvolvimento de agentes encapsulantes com base na valorização de subprodutos da indústria dos laticínios".
(3) Supervisor of Master student Luana Silva Magalhães, C2 in Molecular Genetics, thesis title "Zebrafish embryos as a reliable in vivo model to assess neurotoxicity induction or
protection by bioactive natural products".
(2) Supervisor of Master student Ana Sofia Mendes Ferreira, C2 in Molecular Genetics, thesis title "Eucalyptus nitens antitumoral activities: a biochemical approach to assess the redox cellular state on tumor and non-tumor breast cells".
(1) Supervisor of Master student Ana Catarina Sousa Gonçalves, C2 in Molecular Genetics, thesis title "Biological activity study of Cynara cardunculus leaves extracts: in vitro cell
Unraveling the Safety Profile of Nanoscale Particles and Materials - From Biomedical to Environmental Applications. Edited by Andreia C. Gomes and Marisa P. Sarria, ISBN 978- 953-51-3940-9, Print ISBN 978-953-51-3939-3, 172 pages, Publisher: InTech, Chapters published March 21, 2018 under CC BY 3.0 license. DOI: 10.5772/65837
“Mechanisms of Action of Curcumin on Aging: Nutritional and Pharmacological
Applications”. Carvalho AC, Gomes AC, Pereira-Wilson C, Lima CF. Molecular Basis of Nutrition and Aging 2016. 35: 491-511. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-801816- 3.00035-2
"Development of Dioctadecyldimethylammonium Bromide/Monoolein Liposomes for Gene Delivery". Neves Silva JP, Oliveira ACN, Gomes AC and Real Oliveira MECD. Sivakumar Gowder (Ed.) "Cell Interaction", ISBN 980-953-307-341-0
PAPERS IN INTERNATIONAL JOURNALS WITH PEER REVIEW
(80) “Photonic modulation of EGFR halts receptor activation and cancer cell migration”. Botelho CM, Gonçalves O, Marques R, Thiagarajan V, Vorum H, Gomes AC, Neves‐Petersen MT. J Biophotonics 2018 Mar 14. doi: 10.1002/jbio.201700323
(79) “Antibacterial and antifungal activity of poly(lactic acid)-bovine lactoferrin nanofiber membranes”. Machado R, da Costa A, Silva DN, Gomes AC, Casal M and Sencadas V. Macromol Biosci. 2018 Jan 15. doi: 10.1002/mabi.201700324
(78) “Fab antibody fragment-functionalized liposomes for specific targeting of antigen positive cells”. Ohradanova-Repic A, Nogueira E, Gomes AC, Steinhuber E, Mühlgrabner V,
Zwirzitz A, Repic M, Petrova E, Suchanek M, Horejsi V, Cavaco-Paulo A, Stockinger H. Nanomedicine 2017 Sep 19. pii: S1549-9634(17)30170-3. doi: 10.1016/j.nano.2017.09.003.
(77) "Single step fabrication of antimicrobial fibre mats from a bioengineered protein-based polymer". da Costa A, Pereira AM, Gomes AC, Rodriguez-Cabello J, Sencadas V, Casal M, Machado R. Biomed Mater. 2017 Jul 12;12(4):045011. doi: 10.1088/1748-605X/aa7104.
(76) “PEGylated liposomal formulation for efficient folate-mediated delivery of MCL1 siRNA to activated macrophages”. Nogueira E, Loureiro A, Freitas J, Nogueira P, Gomes AC, Preto A, Carmo AM, Moreira A, Cavaco-Paulo A. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 2017 July 1, 155: 459–465. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0927776517302102
(75) “Silk-based biomaterials functionalized with fibronectin type II promotes cell adhesion”. Pereira AM, Machado R, da Costa A, Ribeiro A, Collins T, Gomes AC, Leonor IB, Kaplan DL, Reis RL, Casal M. Acta Biomaterialia 2017 Jan 1, 47: 50-59.
(74) “Protein‐based nanoformulations for α‐Tocopherol encapsulation”. Ghaheh FS,
Khoddami A, Alihosseini F, Gomes A, Ribeiro A, Cavaco-Paulo A and Silva C. Engineering in Life Sciences 2016 Nov 1. DOI: 10.1002/elsc.201600188
(73) “Albumin/asparaginase capsules prepared by ultrasound to retain ammonia”. Tinoco A, Ribeiro A, Oliveira C, Parpot P, Gomes A, Cavaco-Paulo A. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 2016 Nov, 100 (22): 9499-9508. DOI: 10.1007/s00253-016-7668-4
(72) “EGF Functionalized Polymer-Coated Gold Nanoparticles Promote EGF Photostability and EGFR Internalization for Photothermal Therapy”. Silva CO, Petersen SB, Reis CP, Rijo P, Molpeceres J, Fernandes AS, Gonçalves O, Gomes AC, Correia I, Vorum H, Neves- Petersen MT. PloS one 2016 Oct 27, 11(19): e0165419. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0165419
(71) “Fluorescent quantification of melanin”. Fernandes B, Matamá T, Guimarães D, Gomes A, Cavaco‐Paulo A. Pigment Cell & Melanoma Research 2016 Oct 22, 29 (6): 707-712. DOI: 10.1111/pcmr.12535
(70) “Human Hair and the Impact of Cosmetic Procedures: A Review on Cleansing and Shape-Modulating Cosmetics”. Cruz CF, Costa C, Gomes AC, Matamá T, Cavaco-Paulo A. Cosmetics 2016, 3(3), 26. DOI:10.3390/cosmetics3030026
(69) “Curcumin encapsulated into methoxy poly(ethylene glycol) poly(e-caprolactone)
nanoparticles increases cellular uptake and neuroprotective effect in glioma cells”. Gregory M, Sarmento B, Martins JA, Silva C, Passos Sárria M, Gomes AC, Coutinho OP, Dias ACP. Planta Med. 2016 Sep 14. DOI: 10.1055/s-0042-112030
(68) “Counter ions and constituents combination affect DODAX: MO nanocarriers toxicity in vitro and in vivo”. Oliveira ACN, Passos Sárria M, Moreira P, Fernandes J, Castro L, Lopes I, Côrte-Real M, Cavaco-Paulo A, , Real Oliveira MECD, Gomes AC. Toxicol. Res., 2016; 5: 1244-1255. DOI: 10.1039/C6TX00074F
(67) “Monoolein-based nanocarriers for enhanced folate receptor-mediated RNA delivery to cancer cells”. Lopes I, C N Oliveira A, P Sárria M, P Neves Silva J, Gonçalves O, Gomes AC, Real Oliveira ME. J Liposome Res. 2016 Sep;26(3):199-210. DOI: 10.3109/08982104.2015.1076463. Epub 2015 Aug 17. [citations 2]
(66) “BSA/HSA ratio modulates the properties of Ca2+-induced cold gelation scaffolds”. Ribeiro A, Vadim Volkov V, Oliveira MB, Padrão J, Mano JF, Gomes AC, Cavaco-Paulo A. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 2016 Aug; 89: 535-544. DOI:10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2016.05.012
(65) “Protective effect of antigen delivery using monoolein-based liposomes in experimental hematogenously disseminated candidiasis”. Carneiro C, Correia A, Lima T, Vilanova M, Pais C, Gomes AC, Real Oliveira MECD, Sampaio P. Acta Biomaterialia, 2016 July 15; 133–145. DOI: 10.1016/j.actbio.2016.05.001 [citations 1]
(64) “Update on therapeutic approaches for rheumatoid arthritis”. Nogueira E, Gomes AC, Preto A and Cavaco-Paulo A. Current Medicinal Chemistry. 2016 May 6. 23. DOI:
10.2174/0929867323666160506125218 [citations 2]
(63) “Role of counter-ion and helper lipid content in the performance of nanocarrier systems: a biophysical study in 2D and 3D lipid assemblies”. Oliveira ACN, Nogueira S, Gonçalves O, Cerqueira MF, Alpuim P, Tovar J, Rodriguez-Abreud C, Brezesinski G, Andreia C. Gomes AC, Lúcio M, Real Oliveira MECD. RSC Advances, 2016; 6: 47730-47740. DOI:10.1039/C6RA08125H [citations 1]
(62) “Albumin-Based Nanodevices as Drug Carriers”. Loureiro A, Azoia NG, Gomes AC and Cavaco-Paulo A. Current Pharmaceutical Design 2016, 22 (10): 1371-1390. DOI:10.2174/1381612822666160125114900 [citations 1]
(61) “Assessment of liposome disruption to quantify drug delivery in vitro”. Nogueira E, Cruz CF, Loureiro A, Nogueira P, Freitas J, Moreira A, Carmo AM, Gomes AC, Preto A, Cavaco-Paulo A. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016 Feb;1858(2):163-7. doi:
10.1016/j.bbamem.2015.11.008. Epub 2015 Nov 14.
(60) “Folate-targeted nanoparticles for rheumatoid arthritis therapy”. Nogueira E, Gomes AC, Preto A, Cavaco-Paulo A. Nanomedicine. 2016 May;12(4):1113-26.
doi:10.1016/j.nano.2015.12.365. Epub 2015 Dec 28. Review. [citations 5]