Address : IB-S, building 18, Campus Gualtar, University of Minho, Braga
Research Area : Ecosystems and Global Change
Position : Integrated members
My academic background is characterized by a multidisciplinary path, with a common line of studying the relationships between human well-being and Nature: I got a bachelor in Geography (2004); a master in Ecology and Environment (2009); and a PhD in Biodiversity and Ecology (2014), all from the University of Porto, Portugal. During my PhD, I spent the first two years in the Netherlands, collaborating with the Environmental System Analysis group, Wageningen University. After concluding the PhD studies, I joined the Earth System Processes team in CESAM, University of Aveiro for two years. Bewteen 2016 and 2018 I returned to CIBIO-InBIO, University of Porto as a post-doc in the H2020 project Ecopotential. Currently I'm Assistant Researcher at CBMA and IB-S, under the project EcoAgriFood.
As both geographer and ecologist, Cláudia is interested in exploring the human relations between the environment and biodiversity for building sustainable options for land management decisions. In particular, she is interested in exploring the consequences of different land-use options, fires and future climate conditions on the hydrological services provision. She is also interested in making Earth Observation products usable for monitoring ecosystem functions and services, especially related to water. Cláudia has been involved in several research projects on environmental and ecological topics, published a vast list of peer-reviewed publications related to water resources, hydrological modelling, climate change and fire. She has been developing many dissemination and outreach activities, organizing training schools, advanced courses and teaching university classes. Cláudia has been working at four research institutions in Portugal and in The Netherlands. She is very enthusiastic, self-motivated and competent in her work, including experience in international panels such as member of the Ecosystem Services Partnership, very active in the Mediterranean group, and MC representative in the COST action PESFOR-W (Forests for Water).
PESFOR-W COST Action - Payments for Ecosystem Services - Forests for Water (2016-2020). MC representative Portugal
EcoAgrifood -Innovative green products and processes to promote Agri-Food BioEconomy, financed by Norte 2020 (2016-2020) - Research Assistant (contract)
FirESmart - Fire management as a cost-effective and nature-based solution to maximise co-benefits between wildfire suppression and ecosystem services, financed by FCT (2019-2021) - Team member
Climalert - Clima alert smart system, financed by Climate JPI (2017-2020) – Team member
ECOPOTENTIAL - improving future ecosystem benefits through Earth Observations, financed by H2020, grant agreement 641762, (2015-2019) - Post-doc Research fellow
GestAqua.AdaPT - Adapting Reservoir Management Strategies to Climate Change in Alentejo, financed by APA (Portuguese Environment Agency) through EEA grants and the Portuguese Carbon Fund (2015-2016) - Post-doc research fellow
IND_Change - INDicator-based modelling tools to predict landscape CHANGE and improve the application of social-ecological research in adaptive land management, financed by FCT (2013-2015) - Part of the team and Research Fellow
José Pedro Ramião (on-going) - Modelling ecosystem services under climate change (2018-ongoing).
Supervisor: Cláudia Pascoal. Co-supervisors: Cláudia Carvalho-Santos e Rute Pinto
André Eiras (ongoing) - Emparelhar a vinha com a Natureza. Mestrado Ecologia. Universidade do Minho.
Supervisor: Cláudia Carvalho-Santos. Co-supervisor: Cláudia Pascoal e Fernanda Cássio
Emanuel Juipa (2019) Impacts of climate change on water ecosystem services: SWAT applied to the watershed of Rio Homem. Mestrado em Ecologia, Ambiente e Território. Universidade do Porto.
Supervisor: Cláudia Carvalho-Santos. Co-supervisor: João Honrado.
Vânia Sofia Azevedo Santos (2013) Plant traits and hydrological services of forest areas in Northern Portugal. Mestrado em Ecologia, Ambiente e Território. Universidade do Porto.
Supervisors: João Honrado. Co-supervisior: Cláudia Carvalho-Santos.
(11) Balzan, M. V, Pinheiro, A.M., Mascarenhas, A., Ruiz-frau, A., Carvalho-Santos, C., et al. 2019. Improving ecosystem assessments in Mediterranean social-ecological systems : a DPSIR analysis Improving ecosystem assessments in Mediterranean social-ecological systems : a DPSIR analysis. Ecosyst. People 15, 136–155.
(10) Carvalho-Santos C, Monteiro AT, Arenas-Castro S, Greifeneider F, Marcos B, Portela AP, Honrado JP (2018) Ecosystem Services in a Protected Mountain Range of Portugal: Satellite-Based Products for State and Trend Analysis. Remote Sensing, 10(10), 1573
(9) Lopes AF, Macdonald JL, Quinteiro P , Arroja L, Carvalho-Santos C, Cunha-e-Sa A, Dias A (2018) Surface vs. groundwater: The effect of forest cover on the costs of drinking water. Water Resources Economics, 23
(8) Nunes JP, Naranjo-Quintanilla P, Santos J, Serpa D, Carvalho-Santos C, Rocha J, Keizer J, Keesstra S (2018) Afforestation, subsequent forest fires and provision of hydrological services: a model-based analysis for a mediterranean mountainous catchment. Land Degradation & Development, 29: 776-788
(7) Vaz, A.S.; Crouzat, E.; Santarém, F.; Grescho, V.; Carvalho-Santos, C.. 2018. "From pork to fork: The social experience of bundles of interacting ecosystem services through gastronomy". Ecosystem Services 32: 170-172
(6) Valatin G, Abildtrup J, Accastello C, et al (2017) PESFOR-W: Improving the design and environmental effectiveness of woodlands for water Payments for Ecosystem Services. Research Ideas and Outcomes, 3:e13828.
(5) Carvalho-Santos C, Monteiro AT, Azevedo J, Honrado JP (2017) Climate change impacts on water resources and reservoir management: uncertainty and adaptation for a mountain catchment in northeast Portugal. Water Resources Management, 31, 3355-3370.
(4) Sil A, Rodrigues AP, Carvalho-Santos C, Nunes JP, Honrado J, Alonso J, Marta-Pedroso C, Azevedo JC (2016) Trade-offs and Synergies Between Provisioning and Regulating Ecosystem Services in a Mountain Area in Portugal Affected by Landscape Change. Mountain Research and Development, 36(4), 452-464
(3) Carvalho-Santos C, Silva AR, Gonçalves J, Honrado J (2016) Ecosystems services and biodiversity conservation under forestation scenarios: options to improve watershed management in the Vez watershed, NW Portugal. Regional Environmental Change, 16:1557-1570
(2) Carvalho-Santos C, Nunes JP, Monteiro AT, Hein L, Honrado J (2016) Assessing the effects of land cover and future climate conditions on the provision of hydrological services in a medium-sized watershed of Portugal. Hydrological Processes, 30/5: 720-738
(1) Carvalho-Santos C, Honrado J, Hein L (2014) Hydrological services and the role of forests: Conceptualization and indicator-based analysis with an illustration at a regional scale. Ecological Complexity 20: 69-80
Berta Martín-López, Elisa Oteros-Rozas, Emmanuelle Cohen-Shacham, Fernando Santos-Martín,Marta Nieto-Romero, Claudia Carvalho-Santos, José A. González, Marina García-Llorente, Keren Klass, Ilse Geijzendorffer, Carlos Montes and Wolfgang Cramer (2016) Ecosystem Services Supplied by the Mediterranean Basin Ecosystems. In Potschin M, Haines-Young R, Fish R, Turner R K (eds),
Routledge Handbook of Ecosystem Services, Taylors and Francis group, London.
Carvalho-Santos C, Marcos B, Espinha Marques J, Alcaraz-Segura D, Hein L, Pradinho Honrado H (2013) Evaluation of hydrological ecosystem services through remote sensing. In Alcaraz Segura D, Di Bella C M; Straschnoy J V (eds), Earth Observation of Ecosystem Services, CRC Press Taylors and Francis group, Boca Raton, pp. 219-249
Carvalho Ribeiro S, Azevedo J C, Guerra C, Proença V, Carvalho Santos C, Pôças I, Pinto Correia T, Honrado J P (2011) Condições e tendências recentes dos serviços dos ecossistemas florestais no Norte de Portugal. In Tereso JP, Honrado JP, Pinto AT, Rego FC (eds.) Florestas do Norte de Portugal – história, ecologia e desafios de gestão, pp 205-249, InBio - Rede de Investigação em Biodiversidade e Biologia Evolutiva. Porto
Publications in national journals:
Carvalho-Santos C (2012) Monitorização integrada da biodiversidade e da paisagem em Paisagens Agrícolas de Elevado Valor Natural. Ecologia revista online da Sociedade Portuguesa de Ecologia, nº5.
Publications in conference proceedings:
Carvalho-Santos C, Nunes JP, Monteiro A, Honrado J (2014) Os efeitos das condições climáticas futuras e alteração do uso do solo na prestação de serviços hidrológicos na bacia do rio Vez. Livro de atas do Clima 2014 - IV Congresso Nacional sobre Alterações Climáticas, 4-5 Dezembro 2014, Aveiro, Portugal, pp. 47-58
Carvalho-Santos C, Jongman R, Alonso J, Honrado J (2010) Fine-scale mapping of High Nature Value farmlands: novel approaches to improve the management of rural biodiversity and ecosystem services. In: João Carlos Azevedo, M.F., Castro, José, Pinto, Maria Alice (Eds.), Proceedings of the IUFRO Landscape Ecology Working Group International Conference. Instituto Politécnico de
Bragança, Bragança, Portugal, pp. 182-187.